Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 01 powerstroke and i lost my last key and the copy i had doesnt work apparently so i was going to replace the ignition switch but i obviously don't have a working key to use to take it out what should i do to get it out?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can drill it, or do the ghetto vice grip method.
First try lubing it up real good and jiggling the key all around to try and get one more turn out of it.

·
Powerstroke n00b
448 Posts
put a drill bit in instead of a key to open up the tumbler...keep going with a bigger bit until tumbler turns freely...

·
Registered
419 Posts
You drill the pin underneath first, just a small bit there. Then once that's out take about a 1/2" bit and drill through the tumblers, but not past them. the you can turn the inside to get the nub to line up to remove the cylinder.
Get the new cylinder first and look it over and it will all make sense then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 01 powerstroke and i lost my last key and the copy i had doesnt work apparently so i was going to replace the ignition switch but i obviously don't have a working key to use to take it out what should i do to get it out?
Take it to a locksmith if its just a bad copy he can decode the key and make a new key. (or if he is worth beans he can).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Take it to a locksmith if its just a bad copy he can decode the key and make a new key. (or if he is worth beans he can).
Agreed! Quicker, easier and could be cheaper. Check with your insurance, they may cover it depending on your coverage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im a locksmith, DONT DRILL, there are a few diff things you can do, reply or pm me, I will pm you my number,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Drilling is perfectly fine. Cost nothing more than the new cylinder. Its actually a procedure in the factory service manuals. I've done it many times, on many different vehicles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it works fine if you know were to drill, it easy to screw things up if you drill to deep, break a bit in it and it makes things worse, trust me if seen it many times. I get called out and it cost the cust more cause I have to spend more time to get things apart. on ford 8 cut ign there is an easier way, then if that doesnt work it can be drilled.

Im just trying to help, if he want to drill thats fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed! Quicker, easier and could be cheaper. Check with your insurance, they may cover it depending on your coverage.
I'm a locksmith too if you brought it to our shop you would be in and out for 15 bucks. No drilling. Drilling is not for no keys. Been in the business for 30 years in a high volume shop and you can count on one hand how many i've drilled. Its not necessary. Just my opinion. If your near Dallas texas pm me i'll take care of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the problem may be with the position of the steering wheel when it is locked.Try waggling the steering wheel slightly as you turn the ignition key.If not possible then contact to Locksmith Sofia for the problem.Great service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts