Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the iginition switch in my truck, the actual switch NOT the lock cylinder.

Any tips or tricks in changing it?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The ignition switch is a snap. It's right near the base of the column, on the bottom. It's a white box and you'll need a Torx driver to take the screws out.

It's pretty much unbolt it and take the electrical connector off it and put the new one in. Just watch the location of the pin that actuates the switch.

Dave

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, already replaced. Quick easy but didn't fix the problem...arrrggg

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What is the problem you are having?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The turn signals have power with the key off.

I replaced the multi-function switch to still have the same problem. So I replaced the ignition switch and I still have the problem.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Oh OK I remeber now. You are getting constant power to the turn signal switch so you are going to have to literally look over the power wire to your multi function switch. Somewhere along the line whether it is in a plug or the wires themselves they are crossing over with a constant hot. Did you look at the ignition switch plug as well while you sere under there? They have been known to get melted/damaged and cross over.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plugs look good, no discoloration, same for the wires at the plugs. It's suppose to rain the next five days so that plan is to get it in the shop and pull it apart.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You have to have a wire crossing over in the harness somewhere. If you have a test light but more preferably a multi meter you could test the auxilliary wires at the ignition switch to figure out which wire is getting power when it shouldn't. I will dig into the wiring schematics and see what I can find out for you as well. This is really bugging me now too.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I have a multi meter as well as a test light AND I know how to use them :D Schematics would be great

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Didn't get a chance last night to look at them but will do shortly and post wire color and location/routing.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
OK it looks like the power feed to the wipers actually feeds the motor and the multi function switch regulates resistance to ground to control wiper speed. The wire is dark green which comes from circuit breaker #2 in the fuse panel uner the dash. This circuit is powered through auxilliary wire #1 on the ignition switch which is black with a light green stripe. First thing to do is to check for power on the black with light green stripe wire. If this wire is getting power constantly then it should also be powering CB #14-left power window switch, fuse #11-radio, and fuse #6 fuel tank selector/heater control(w/o a/c). If you also have constant power to any or all of these then you have power crossing over to the black w/lt green stripe. Power comes directly from the ignition switch to CB #2 and then directly to the wiper motor. That is the wire to check. Test for power on that wire at the ignition switch first and that will tell you if power is bleeding over from another wire to the wipers.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For a follow up

After hours of chasing wires and getting no where I took it to the Ford Dealer here in town.

Turns out, there was a wire on the back of the fuse block with open inuslation laying on a hot terminal.

Truck is fixed.

After talking to dad about this his says the truck did this from new.

Just glad it is fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts