Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NightVision
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I cranked up the OBS today to run errands with no problems what so ever. When I returned to the truck, opened the door lock with the key and jumped in. I slid the ignition key into the steering wheel lock assy. and the key will not turn in either direction. I jiggled the key, smacked it, cursed it to no avail. Went home and got the extra set of keys and the ignition cylinder still does not turn. Truck starts up with the remote start but the key will not turn. No tension from the steering wheel on the assembly either.

So my conclusion is that the lock and/or the switch need replacing. How can I remove the lock assembly from the switch without being able to turn the switch to the run position for the detent ball to release the lock from the switch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Try turning the key upside down and wiggling the steering wheel back and forth, other than that if you can't get it to move you may have to drill it.

·
NightVision
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bugman. I was sitting in a snowstorm for several hours waiting for my GF to arrive with the extra set of keys. I think I must have tried every imaginable way of jiggling, wiggling, positioning, yanking, pulling. rotating, switching around, cursing, smacking, tilting the column, even talking nice to the dam thing.

What made it appear worse was the truck was running from the remote start and here I am doing all these things to the steering column up front in the Home Depot parking lot. When the tow truck flatbed arrived, the tow operator proceeded to exert all the motions previously mentioned above, but in a more professional manner. He said that the Dodge trucks have this problem quite often and he taps his portable radio on the lock assembly and it usually frees up the lock. Needless to say the magic smack the radio against the key lock trick for Dodges does not apply to OBS Powerstrokes.

I was hoping not to have to do the drill and slide hammer on my lock but I feel there is not to many options left. I guess the tumblers are so wore slap out that this is the next move.

·
NightVision
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Matt, I went on to YouTube and watched a video on shocking the tumblers by tapping the key and rotating the cylinder housing in home door locks. Good concept, can't hurt to try on a vehicle. I used the ignition key because the tumblers have to be very close to the parting line in the cylinder of the pins. By shocking the key lightly with the screw driver handle with the right hand and rotating the cylinder with the left hand I was able to jolt the pins to alignment and the cylinder rotated. Put the key position to run and pushed up from below the cylinder release button and it pulled right out.

I will replace the electrical start switch and the lock assembly on Monday. I have the new starter relay and the SD starter waiting to go in also. This way the entire starting hardware will be new from the key to the flywheel. Maybe I will get another seventeen years before the key/switch needs replacing.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The steering wheel is locked, right? Have you tried holding the wheel as far as you can left and right, and turning the key?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts