Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! Just when I thought it was safe to go out & use my 01 F250 SD/ 7.3, fate once again proves to be a harsh mistress. :crying: I have a coolant leak, but I can't tell where it's coming from. I can look under the front & see it running down the driver's side between the back of the crank pulley & the block, where it proceeds to make a mess. :mad: Any place in particular I should start looking? I put my hand underneath the top inlet for the lower rad hose, but neither the hose or or the inlet were leaking. The hose itself isn't leaking as far as I can discern, so I'm stumped as to where it could be coming from; other than underneath the reservoir. As always, all wisdom & guidance is deeply appreciated!

·
Native Texan
9,071 Posts
It could be the front cover or the oil cooler in that area. oil cooler orings are a known failure point on these trucks.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Check your thermostat housing/outlet hose fitting. I had a weeping coolant leak there.

You couldn't see it AT ALL from the top, but it was a weeper/dripper on the back side (against the block), that would run down the top of the pump, and drip off the left side of the block (about where you are seeing yours).

I run the T444 pump on mine, and I thought it was the filter or filter base, or filter shut-off valve, but it turned out to be the o-ring seal on the t-stat housing.

When you got $25/gal coolant, you don't want leaks!

~Al

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
could very well be a bad water pump seal too. there is a weep hole under the water pump that will start leaking coolant once the seal in the pump dies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts