Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a electric wholesaler in KC yesterday and picked-up 6 larger sensors with same ratings. These are about twice to 3 times the size as the Vishay and made by NTE. My IDM is a 110 so I used a 75k ohm. The only diff is the Vishay resistors are acurate to 1% these are 2%. I checked all b4 leaving the store, they all tested within .25% of 75k ohm @ .5 watt.

The Mod itself was much easier than I thought it would be, did everything twice just because it seemed to simple. Was actually shocked when the truck fired and ran when tested. The silicone will dry tonight and I'll take it for a spin tomorrow.

I did my mod on a wal-mart lunchbox in my home office :D

I only took this pic to dispell a myth, you don't need to turn the lid into a crushed soda can to remove.

The size jump from 1 resistor to another is seen here. The Vishay resistors body is roughly the same size as the stock resistor.

Heres where it is in the IDM.

And the finished product. I had it in then out so many times unsure that it was right that I melted the corner of the green box next to it :doh:

And thats it, next one will take about 10 minutes.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drove the truck 25m to town and let me just say this 1st. I was very sceptical of this mod for 2 reasons 1st - I used a different resistor so I didn't know if it would even start, much less run. 2nd - the whole thing seemed a little over hyped!

WRONG! More details if I make it home without the help of a trailer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My idm mod was almost a mirror to this one including the singed green box...lol. If your careful the lid comes off easily.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subscribed. I have a resistor but not yet soldered it in. I just need the time and get over " If I mess this up then what will I do......"
Same here on the "what if?" So I decided to do 1 truck at a time. This truck is my DD but the other is solid so I figured I'd drive it if this 1 burns to the ground :eek:

Don't be afraid of this mod. I can't vouch (yet) for the bigger resistor but the mod itself is so easy a Jap could do it :poke: J/K

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first 30 miles were with my kids inside so I kept it to driving and not testing. The second 30... well lets just say theres some new stretches of blacktop btween here and Garnett, 100yds at a time.

This truck has no mods except for intake and muff/cat delete. The pedal response b4 was spongy at best, now it jumps to att. Runs smoother and has that chirpy idle were you can her the slightest turbo whistle from inside the cab with windows up. I ran the piss out of it, stop blasts to 80mph, back to a stop, crazy funny car style burnout, then 60-80 several times trying to see if something would break. each time it got faster and smoother. Can't explain that 1 yet but the swap is akin to adding a TW/TS chip on a stocker without the shift mods.

I will wait to do this to the green truck until I'm sure this won't cost me a new IDM. At that point I'll give ya'll the part # for the NTE resistor.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much of a difference do you notice afterwards.
Like adding a tuned chip w/o the shift points. It was a VERY good idea. How much of it has to do with the bigger resistor? I dunno, but I've read every thread I can find on the IDM mod and none of the after stories sound like mine. Maybe it has to do with my truck having few mods to begin with?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to add some photos to your post. That is always nice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
this works the same on all 7.3s right? and how does it act when you also have a chip i have a dp alredy would this do anything for me?

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this works the same on all 7.3s right? and how does it act when you also have a chip i have a dp alredy would this do anything for me?
I would imagine it is going to help no matter. You'd have to ask your tuner but the Voltage increase to the inj's (IMO) is going to make their tunes work even better. It's like Beer, good on it's own but you add women... :rockwoot: party!

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
One thing I thought about after I was done was to put a dob of rtv on the side of the resistor so it one day does not vibrate loose. Been driving it like this for 20k with no problems though.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
300miles now and nothing. I seriously think the truck is running better the more I drive it! Maybe the faster pace of inj is breaking loose some gunk or varnish IDK but I cannot wait until the Chip and DP get here. Guess I can do the Green truck now and see how it likes it.

BTW I forgot to mention that the soft or delayed pedal feel is gone now as well. Used to have to push at least 1/2 inch b4 truck responded, now it's right there.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Since you used a axial resistor instead of the surface mount technology (SMT)style resistor, it would have been a good idea to use the daub of RTV to vibration proof the resistor. If you had used the block style resistor (SMT) then this would not have to be done. Using a equvalent wattage(1/8 watt) resistor would have also been better since it would have been smaller, reducing vibration load on the axial resistor leads. The original guy who open posted this mod (Not JoeServo) did say the 1/8 Watt resistor (if axial style) was the best choice for this reason if not using the SMT style resistor.

The 75 kohm (75,000 ohm) resistor is the right value for the 100 and 110 model idms. The later 120 model idms use a 73 kohm (73,000 ohm) resistor.

The fewer the mods the more apparent the performance change. The injectors operate a little faster due to the increase in voltage ramp rate. Thus the snappier feel on acceleration. I have an original JoeServo IDM and that was the change most everyone posted about on TDS way back when.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's hard to see but the ends were bent flat so the res laid upside down against the silicone goo covering the circut board. The time consuming part was checking for strength, I could hold the res by the metal w/pliers and the lift the entire IDM off the desk. And BTW I read the servo mod was 1/2 watt not 1/8.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The original guy who open posted this mod (Not JoeServo) did say the 1/8 Watt resistor (if axial style) was the best choice for this reason if not using the SMT style resistor.
FordForgotton?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts