Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have done the 75k resistor mod yourself or just had a local shop do it? Has anyone expierenced any problems after they did the mod? I ordered the resistor from Digi-Key this AM. I am not good w/ a soldering iron so I thought I could get a local computer repair store to install it for me. I thought I would get some opinions before I did anything though.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
IIRC Beans Diesel Performance sells a modded IDM for $100.

I don't know what they do but i would much rather do that than have some dude go messin with something he has no clue about. It would be a lot easier and probably cheaper in the long run to just send yours in and get one done the right way.

·
'' fukin boosten''
439 Posts
i have the swamps IDM and i did the 2 for one and i like it i could definatly tell the difrence in it after that

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
I did my own...I have steady hands. Forgot to hook the battery up after install and nearly soiled my pants. Definatly notice a big difference in power. I was willing to take the $300 gamble if you arne't $100 sounds pretty reasonable and they won't accept a fried IDM. They might do more than just a resistor change as well??

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
100 bucks is dirt cheap. Does Matty still do em? I think he was doin em for 50?

I'd foot the bill and have someone good do it, besides, Swamps does more to theres than the regular mod IIRC.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
I've did 2 myself. Easy cheesy!! Took me longer to get the cover peeled off than it did to replace the resistor. Plus the resistors were given to me from a forum member that had extras. So the only cost I had was in the caulking and can of spray paint.

If you don't feel comfortable doing a $5 mod, then spend the $100 thru Beans for the EXACT same thing.

I'm currently waiting on a Swamps IDM for my other truck. Chose to send it to them with an extra core for a cost reduction, just to see what theirs is all about. I'll have the ability to swap out the Swamps for the DIY and see if there's any difference.

·
<---mud
297 Posts
yeah its super easy. way easier than modding my Xbox back in the day. DIY you could learn something.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
ok did mine this weekend at the same time as an adrenaline. whoa big difference. the idm is a ten min job once you get the cover off, its easy. and worth it. and if you want pics KarTec did a good write up on here, called modding the idm on a 7.3. check it out really helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts