Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after the buildup (190's w 75% over nozzles) AD II, Sump & Strictly diesel RR i let the truck run for about 2-3 Hrs at an idle to let everything heat set back in ect.

Here's the skinny:
Truck was a PITA to get started the first time as usual, once started it ran perfect but everytime i shut it down it would take 3 x more cranking to get it started again.

Let it warm up again this morning for about 45 minutes while i was cleaning the shop. Took it out for it's break in run, made it 2 miles at a moderate pace about 3/4 into the pedal. When i stopped at the stop sign the truck was idling rough and would not smooth back out. Fuel Pressure off the AD II is +/-55 psi and stayed the same the whole time. RR pressure is about the same +/- a couple PSI. It doesn't matter what i do to the AD II or the RR PSI setting wise it will not level/smooth out. It stumbles up to about 1000 rpm them its silky smooth all the way to full pedal, there is still a ton of power and its smooth on the highway.

Any ideas? Also the FICM is un-tuned and i am waiting on tunes for Innovative.

I think its a fuel/timing issue but has anyone had the same problems or have any ideas?
Thanks guys!

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Your Ficm is what fires your injectors !! Needs to have programming on it. 2 it takes 12 full throttle runs by Ford to get the air out of the hpo system. Get a ficm on it and try again. Also sounds like an ICP issue.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FICM was checked and it's ok (stock ford programming). I cleaned the ICP during the build but maybe it's NFG or weak. I have drove full throttle at least 12 times during troubleshooting since and same results.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
you might have cut an o-ring intalling the injectors. Are you sure you torqued all injectors down tight...maybe a copper washer didn't seat. Put a scanner on it and see if there are any contribution faults/miss fires with any cylinders.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the injectors were thumb ratchet seated, then torqued to spec, the cups were cleaned, blown out with compressed air, and the o-rings were thoughoughly oiled with 5 w 40 full synthetic before installing. They all torqued down the same with no issues, you could feel them seat as usual.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Currently any tuning on it ? Do you have a scanner ?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No tuning and no DTC's other than the EGR delete codes that come up. What do you mean by scanner? Like the kind ford has for checking injectors ect? If do then no.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Ya was gonna ask if you could do a power balance test, were those injectors gone thru by Ryan ?

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Are you able to monitor the ICP to see what it does while cranking/running/WOT?? If you're having trouble with it starting whether cold or hot, I would say the signs point to the HPOP either being bad or about to just die on you. Usually if they die, they just give up and don't resisitate but each truck is different.

I know for me when I was restoring from my head gasket install, I started my truck up and let it run for only a couple of minutes and had to shut er down because I had a low pressure oil leak. Well after I fixed that and went back to try and restart it, I could only build about 250 psi of ICP while cranking. Long story short it was the HPOP and why did it die? It ran fine for 80K miles and now just dies? What gives? So that is why I say they can go out or be on the way out for any reason.

It could be what was mentioned about possibly cutting the injector oring seal on the top of the injector or if you didnt replace those when you installed the injectors then they could be bad. Did you replace the stand pipe and dummy plug orings as well? Hope this helps. Best of luck here. I feel for you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okso i went to Ford today and had everything tested again. Results:
Power Balance test= #7 has dead miss
Relative compression test, all at 0%
Injector Self test= Passes test, but #7 injector very weak sounding on the click test
Needs Inj #7.

Basically the #7 injector is getting power, testing fine but just not firing. Fun times.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

So got the replacment 190 w 75% over nozzle, installed, started truck, ran excellent, manaaged to bleed all the air out of the system, truck runs awesome, scary with the 41's on it though .

However 2 probelms i still have and cannot seem to figure them out.
#1 Truck has a stumble only at idle, as soon as you step on it the least it goes away completely and it is only every now and then, but definitley regularly, it comes and goes as well while the truck is running (Idling). Fuel pressure at my AD II output is set to 66 PSI (Via analog gauge dead ended when i installed it originally) & RR is set about the same +/- 1 PSI. In Cab guage reads 68 when cold then 65 all the time.

#2 Bad surge especially when truck is cold, like 5-8 psi, checked all hoses, boots ect, no boost leaks at all, when turbo warms up past 600F it is less but still there.

Anyone have any ideas?, other than those 2 truck is mint. But both are getting very annoying.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Glad you got the injector issue worked out, i may be back tracking a little, but some things i noticed when i did my build, it took a few cycles of starting and running the motor over the course of a few days befor the truck started as normal.

As far as the surging and rough idle, i thought i read above that you do not have tunes in the truck. i experience this as well as i did not have my tunes written untill after i was completley done with the build. It also took a few revisions befor i got the truck running properly at idle, and whlie in the pedal. I would notice bad surging in the 5-10psi but once the boost got to 12-above, surging was gone, and the truck took off. I think tuning is something you should have adjusted, maybe some fuel delivery needs to be pulled back not sure. iwould talk to your tuner and have them make some adjustments.

With the ssx turbo i had i still noticed surging after we tweaked the programs, but it was far less harsh, and the truck was much more drivable.

As far as your idle goes, i know that when im driving the truck, if im hard on the pedal then come to a stop it rough idles but does smooth out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you got the injector issue worked out, i may be back tracking a little, but some things i noticed when i did my build, it took a few cycles of starting and running the motor over the course of a few days befor the truck started as normal.

As far as the surging and rough idle, i thought i read above that you do not have tunes in the truck. i experience this as well as i did not have my tunes written untill after i was completley done with the build. It also took a few revisions befor i got the truck running properly at idle, and whlie in the pedal. I would notice bad surging in the 5-10psi but once the boost got to 12-above, surging was gone, and the truck took off. I think tuning is something you should have adjusted, maybe some fuel delivery needs to be pulled back not sure. iwould talk to your tuner and have them make some adjustments.

With the ssx turbo i had i still noticed surging after we tweaked the programs, but it was far less harsh, and the truck was much more drivable.

As far as your idle goes, i know that when im driving the truck, if im hard on the pedal then come to a stop it rough idles but does smooth out.

Yeah sorry i forgot to add that im running Eric's Tunes, i also got my tunes wrote after the builldup. As far as the surge goes, mines is almost the same except the only time it will truly go away is under full throttle and in drive, when it shifts into OD it goes back to surging. As far as letting off the throttle after a hard pull, mine does the same then most of the time it smooths back out, then every time the "stumble" comes back sooner or later.

Thanks a ton for the info i really appreciate it, ill talk to eric and see if we can get it dialed a bit better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts