Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what burns more fuel while idleing?... stock setting or at a modified tune (DP Tuner 80hp, Economy) Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would be nice to click it to stock while running in a store or something to save some fuel if its less.... :shrug:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think a tune would make any difference on the amount of fuel used. It's only turning over the engine...It's not going faster. There's only a certain amount of fuel being used to accomplish the work of maintaining a certain amount of RPM's with the amount of load from the alternator, etc.

I wanna say that it's around a third of a gallon per hour though to maintain idle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my gas truck I had with it all tuned up just idleing i swear u could almost watch the gauge move... it was a GMC 6.0, got 7mpg, once I tuned it differently it was alot better.. thats what got me thinking about it.. I guess I just dont fully understand what the tuner changes in the 7.3 to produce more hp... but i was thinking more hp= more fuel getting sprayed but I dont know...either way doesnt really matter cuz its so hard to keep the foot off the pedel while driving..

·
Registered
338 Posts
When the engine is cold the idle gph is way up over 1. Hot idle is usually around .38 for me, in park of course.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess a guy could experiment and fill up, idle for a few hrs then refill.. anyone work at a gas station, could fill up and leave the truck at the pump so theres no accelorating..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts