Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First time posting. So I have a 2000 f250 4x4. The rear diff has a lot of rotational play in it and slacks up and tightens when shifting or letting off the throttle and getting back on it (especially in higher gears). Anyway after talking to several shops about a rebuild I decided to replace it with a used unit. Unfortunately the axle tag is missing and wouldn't you know ford didn't put an axle code on the b pillar sticker. Is there any other way to i.d. this thing? 4 stealers told me 3.73 non limited slip and that's all the info on it. Even called ford customer care and the original selling dealer. Thanks!!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Have you checked the front axle for the tag?
There is a site you can enter your vin and get a run down of all your options but I don't remember it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I couldn't find one on the front diff. It would only tell me what the gearing is. All the reading I have done says the vin wont tell you what axle it is exactly. They made several different axle housings for 99-04. Someone has put an aftermarket diff cover on this thing and didn't put the tag back on it. Thanks for the reply!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thegen,

I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that you have a Sterling 10.5 axle. All you need to do is find one with the same ratio and measure/verify the hub to hub distance. Ford has used them forever and (if I'm not mistaken) still does in current SRW F350s.

Cj

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm almost certain it is a 10.5 sterling non limited slip 3.73 gear. I got that much from the dealers I called but they said there is no way of narrowing down exactly which one of the 4 it is without the tag. This is definitely frustrating to say the least. I appreciate the replies!! I will have to go measure spring purch and total axle width. 05+ are a little wider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so finally got a good number from the dealer. It's a s406h which is a non limited sip model. A s409h is available at the salvage yard which is a limited slip rear end. Does anyone know if using that one will work?

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
It should work and if you are lucky the LS is still good

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
If it wasn't maintained there could be problems with the clutches but I don't know how you would be able to check it to see if it is good

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
They are most likely shot but it won't harm anything. I would drain the fluid and refill anyway, so you can rebuild it while your in there. It's pretty easy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truck should be back on the road Tuesday, hopefully that was all the slop in the drive terrain. Thank you all for the help!!! Now I just need to figure out what clutch I'm going to put in it. It will slip in 6th gear with the tuner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went by the shop thats working on the truck today. The slop was mostly in the spider gears, lots of metal in the cover magnet, the oil looked like dirty chocolate milk and the e-brake shoe retainer clip was broke and the shoe was grinding away at the backside of the wheel studs. It is not in good shape to say the least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts