Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down a dirt road about 30 mph... no issues, no high temps nothing. Went to pass another car and noticed A LOT less power... wtf I thought... this isnt good. Slowed down to look at some moose with the ol lady and noticed engine was camming really bad... but no white smoke. Went hunting all day and came back to the truck... started up really ruff and started blowing white smoke.... backed out of the ditch I parked in to get a tow strap on it. Truck almost wouldnt pull itself out of the ditch.
Oh and the degas bottle is EMPTY...

I'm in a really remote spot in AK and its gonna cost like 600 bucks jsut to get it to anchorage to get it worked on. Does this sound like head gaskets????? I wanna buy all necessary hardware before hand so the stealership can't get me for em.

So far on the list is:

-GOGO stg 1 intake manifold/egr delete
-arp's

What else... not injectors or turbo at this point... just want it back to DD status.

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if im gonna take it to the shop and have them fix this I mise well get the ARP's and all that jazz done too. I wanted to do that in the future anyways. I guess what I'm really concerned about is if its a fuel related problem. It wouldn't blow white smoke if an injector O-ring or something went out would it?

·
<sideways skyscraper
471 Posts
Have you had injectors replaced recently? O-rings don't normally "go bad" on our trucks. If if they did the truck would chug white smoke like a choo choo train and would hardly run if at all.

You could have a combination of issues which isn't uncommon.

·
Maroon truck guy
427 Posts
It would be gray/white smoke and it would burn your eyes if it was fuel. and it wouldnt be eating coolant.

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well I've been power searching/reading on here... and it seems that since its eating coolant, its either gaskets or cooler, so im gonna solve those two to start with... and if its injectors, mise well just plan on two black eyes from the boss.

Called a shop up here in AK.... 5 grand and they will stud it and delete it. The front desk didnt know what delete kit they used.

Seem a little steep???

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like you need a egr delete.. would park that truck until then..

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
5k ya thats steep

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would happen if gas was put in instead of diesel... theres a possibility that the wife did that. Could I just extract the gas out of the tank and fill it all the way up with diesel and let it run until the gas is out of the lines. She did fill it up about 15 miles before it started driving weird.

Would this cause a ruff idle and white smoke?

If it was... should I could drain the fuel tank, drain the fuel bowl and replace the filters?

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
did you refill the bottle? is it holding coolant?

·
Dead dinosaur consumer
163 Posts
Could be gas instead of diesel but that wouldn't cause the loss of coolant

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
egr cooler is bad, its not he HG's but it wouldn't hurt to put them in if you want them in the future anyways

·
Registered
162 Posts
My buddys wife did that on his,kinda sounds like the same prob he had,,,slap her in the dome with your donger,then rain it it change filters and throw some cetene or sea foam in it and let it run.thats what he did.

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I pull some fuel outta the tank into a mason jar is there any way to tell if its gas vs. diesel by the naked eye. Should be an easy fix if it is this. (She added 15 gallons of ??? gas/diesel. Truck had less than a quarter tank when she did this.)

..and bigdaddy60 is right it wouldnt explain the loss of coolant.

There was also a lot of oil/dirt residue around the egr vlv, and intake manifold area. (the valley)

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
If i pull some fuel outta the tank into a mason jar is there any way to tell if its gas vs. diesel by the naked eye. Should be an easy fix if it is this.
smell it, thats pretty simple:doh:

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is headgaskets I should be getting coolant past the rings right? I'm at work and I can't check right now but my oil should be milky... any thoughts?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
If it is headgaskets I should be getting coolant past the rings right? I'm at work and I can't check right now but my oil should be milky... any thoughts?
no, you will have a problem with blowing coolant out of the degas tank, not burning it

·
Registered
249 Posts
Man if your losing coolant its your egr/ oil cooler have got clogged up. You need to park it and get to looking at your egr cooler. I had the same exact thing happen to my truck and luckily I parked it before it blew my head gaskets and all of that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts