Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the site and diesel trucks. Let me start off with some background so you don’t think I’m a complete idiot lol So I’m a laid off bartender due to the current global situation and was thinking of starting a junk removal business to get some cash flowing again. Browsing Facebook marketplace , Craigslist and OfferUp daily looking for a deal on decent used dump truck. Everything always being too old too rusty or too much work needed or the other end of the spectrum too expensive. So I ended up looking on copart salvage auction and found a rebuilt title 2008 6.4 F-350 4x4 SRW dump with 80k miles that said runs and drives. Ended up getting it for $3250 I’m all excited thinking I stole the thing and paid 500$ for delivery to my house. It shows up on a huge car hauler and the driver jumps it’s and drives it into my driveway with oil pouring out of 3 different sections of the exhaust. After a quick google search it sounds like my turbo is shot I’m guessing ? Also when it’s running a loud air sound is coming from exhaust. Called around to a few shops and no one seems to thrilled to work on it. So there she sits in my driveway my quarantine dream on a tarp lol. Not sure if I should bring to shop and dump(no pun intended ) tons of money into it or just sell it hoping for what I got into it back

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
It’s likely the turbos, but it isn’t possible it’s not a major engine mechanical issue. I would run from a 6.4 with unknown maintenance history unless you work on them for a living or have deep pockets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s likely the turbos, but it isn’t possible it’s not a major engine mechanical issue. I would run from a 6.4 with unknown maintenance history unless you work on them for a living or have deep pockets.
Thanks for replying. Yeah I was debating if i should try and change the turbos myself with the cab on but even if I manage to do that without messing anything up whose to say that’s the only problem with it? you’re right

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled off the air intake today to inspect the turbo. There’s no play in the turbine shaft but definitely covered in oil. It’s weird the way the oil stains are it looks like it’s coming from the oil fill location hole down this tube into the air intake and into the turbo is that even possible? Or is it vise versa ? Also noted that the metal band clamps weren’t even tight like someone previous was messing with it

Attachments

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Yes. That is how the crankcase vents. Too much oil through the CCV can be a sign of high crankcase pressure. Or in other words piston/ring sealing problem. You’d have to pull the oil fill cap while it’s running and see If there is pressure behind it

Did you check the high pressure turbo? Not as easy to do as the atmosphere

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. That is how the crankcase vents. Too much oil through the CCV can be a sign of high crankcase pressure. Or in other words piston/ring sealing problem. You’d have to pull the oil fill cap while it’s running and see If there is pressure behind it

Did you check the high pressure turbo? Not as easy to do as the atmosphere
In

I didn’t check the high pressure turbo. Today I did an oil change and there was only a few quarts of black oil in the thing 😟 so I put 15 quarts of fresh stuff in it and let it idle for alittle and did the oil cap upside down test and surprisingly there was zero blow by and no oil was leaking from the exhaust Then I revved it alittle to see if the boost gauge would move and some oil started to come From the exhaust. I really like the truck I just don’t know what to do. I could get it towed to my closest diesel mechanic but once it’s there I feel like I’m at the mercy of labor rates and he honestly tell me anything and I would believe him since I’m new to diesels. Then the other part of me wants to order new turbos online and try and bang it out myself with the cab on.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Look at the exhaust manifold ports. Is there any oil on or dripping out of them? Or saturated in oil? The check the down pipe coming off the turbo. I’m sure that will be wet with oil. If the exhaust manifolds are dry it’s the turbos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts