Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting another truck and the one I'm looking at has transmission problems. Its a 1999 4X4 7.3L Auto Trans. I'm looking for the most cost effective fix since this will just be a work truck. So my question is... Do I rebuild or replace? Where do I buy it from? How much can I expect to spend? Also I am pretty good at working on my on truck is this something I can do my self?

THANX Y'ALL

·
Registered
842 Posts
auto or 6spd

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
Most everyone sends them in to get rebuilt and I think the cost for the big guys to rebuild is somewhere in the high 3,000 or maybe low 4s.. But look up BTS, John Wood ..and I think Racer x but I'm not sure if they just sell parts.. Somebody else will chime in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
my ole man had a local tranny shop rebuild his...better then stock...for around 2000-2500 can't remember exacts

·
Registered
842 Posts
ship it to bts around 4500 plenty of insurance

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I will start asking around town. Its just going to be a daliy driver not really towing/racing/mudding kinda truck.

·
Registered
842 Posts
understand that imho bts is the best in the biz

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
BTS,bar-none!

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Check with local guys with a reputation and good waranty, if it's going to basically be stock.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check with local guys with a reputation and good waranty, if it's going to basically be stock.
:whs:

While BTS is good to totally awesome, depending on who you talk to. That price quoted above is a little off. Plus shipping there and back is a killer. A good local shop, you can usually drop it off on Monday, and pick it up on Tuesday afternoon.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
If it's going to just be a work truck then a rebuild would be plenty. I'd get a billit TC for durability and a valve body/shift kit for longevity. You'll look at spending 2000-2500.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
go to the vendors section look up racerx all the parts etc for decent rebuilds etc. even if you go back with a rebuild shop it will be better.

bts is wonderfull , great guarantee etc, but for a stock truck prob overkill.
a bts will hold 1000 hp, tow 20Kplus etc and if it breaks usually it is covered
(not the shipping though) sounds like what you need is a working tranny that will cover 300 or less hp....suncaost may be an option , junk yard ebay etc...
course then who knows the history.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
If it's going to just be a work truck then a rebuild would be plenty. I'd get a billit TC for durability and a valve body/shift kit for longevity. You'll look at spending 2000-2500.
Tommyboyup on here a buddy of mine, got hers built up pretty good for her power level for $1400. Not saying you'll find a deal like that in your area but it should definetly be less than $2000. I believe the tranny got redline clutches, a shift kit, and aftermarket torque converter from racerx.

go to the vendors section look up racerx all the parts etc for decent rebuilds etc. even if you go back with a rebuild shop it will be better.

bts is wonderfull , great guarantee etc, but for a stock truck prob overkill.
a bts will hold 1000 hp, tow 20Kplus etc and if it breaks usually it is covered
(not the shipping though) sounds like what you need is a working tranny that will cover 300 or less hp....suncaost may be an option , junk yard ebay etc...
course then who knows the history.
:whs: get the parts from racerx, clutches, torque convertor... and give them to the local guys rebuilding it, and it should hold up to a tune and a little abuse. But like I said it depends on the reputation of the shop.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
ive heard a lot of good stuff about racer x for just a good rebuild, not like a bts, but better then stock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts