Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a CC SD.

Me + wife + son + dog + MIL + friend = full cab.

I would like to stretch my crew cab by adding an extended cab section on the back like this:

2006 Ford Six-Door

Anyone done this ? How hard would it be ? I'd stretch the frame too, but I already know how to do that.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with (4) full doors and (2) 1/2 doors. Go with 6 full doors. I think it is the same amount of headache/work, but with more room.

I know I saw a buildup somewhere, but I can't remember where for the life of me.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i was about to buy a 2008 king ranch with six doors and it was on the stock crewcab long bed chassis just a shorter box man was it a nice truck.:doh:

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:laughs: I'll tell her that !

My MIL is a great woman. Will turn 80 this year. She loves camping with us. Its easy to take her along. All I need is room in the cab.

I think an ext cab addition would be perfect.

I agree that it is probably nearly the same amount of work to add another crew section onto my cab as adding an extended cab section. I believe the ext cab is 18", the difference between the short box and long box trucks. I think the CC extension would add 24" and its really more than I need.

According to the Ford parts book, these cabs look pretty modular. It shouldn't be too much work to add an ext cab portion, except that I think we need to do a roof splice. I think the hardest part will be doing a good job of the headliner. Maybe we could use an Excursion headliner ?

Any and all ideas and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was about to buy a 2008 king ranch with six doors and it was on the stock crewcab long bed chassis just a shorter box man was it a nice truck.:doh:
Glad to hear you say that. I feel a bit crazy to be thinking about doing this, yet our new trailer sleeps 10(!) and our truck only hauls 5-6. Bit of a mismatch there !

Why didn't you buy it ?

I think I would stretch my frame rather than buy a truck with a longer frame or cut the box. Should be pretty easy to do with the cab and box off. We've stretched the frame on medium duty trucks. This should be a piece of cake compared to them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you try this post alot of pics. I would like to have a six door. Just dont know how hard it would be.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a) I pull a 5th wheel trailer so a truck camper is not an option.

b) Its not legal to have passengers in a truck camper in a lot of states.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am wanting to do something along these lines but different. I was first going to move the rear axle forward on my F-550 to match the wheel base of a F-350 cc lb and then put the truck box on it. But now I am thinking about maybe adding to the cab and have a Dodge like megacab. Add some length to the rear doors and then have a longer C-pillar like the megacab so then the rear seats could recline. I have done all the measuerments to move the axle forward but not to move it all back. Even with the axle in the stock location the rear frame rails stick out past the end of the bed and won't let it set flat on the frame. If I had to guess I would think I have a good 12-18" to play with. What is everybodys thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started out thinking the same way as you. I thought I would stretch the C pillar.

But then I found the link to the extended cab stretch.

So then I went to the dealer and looked at their parts book and found that the cab parts are all modular. It appears that adding an extended cab extension to a crew cab is a matter of removing the CC back wall section and putting in an extended cab. If you look at the dealer parts book you'll see what I mean. If you look at the door sills under the bottom of the doors you'll see what I mean.

The only thing that the dealer doesn't seem to have as a stock part is a longer roof. The roof seems to be the hardest part. But an Excursion roof would probably work.

Not that I would buy the parts from a dealer... I would probably get them at a wrecker.

I think adding an extended cab (18") extension from stock Ford truck parts would be much easier than widening a pillar.

I think an 18" stretch would be ideal. The back seat could make into a little bed and it would be wide enough to hold a dog kennel or seat several children comfortably. I like how wide the back doors open. There is a lot more room back there than the 3rd seat in a lot of mini vans.

The middle row of seats would probably have to come from an extended cab truck so that the seat belts have a place to mount ? Did the extended cabs from some years mount the front seat belts to the cab or were they all mounted to the seats ?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The F450 is beautiful. The build pics are priceless.

Like he says, very little body work involved. I like how he bought a new section of roof and then spliced the two of them. Very neat and easy way to do it.

I'm wondering if I should buy a dually (F450 ?) to do this to. But then I need to do the Cummins swap and build another rear suspension for it.

To me this makes a lot more sense than getting a MDT, which still doesn't seat 6+ and then you have to rebuild the suspension so that it rides nice and you have to build a tow bed for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The F450 is beautiful. The build pics are priceless.

Like he says, very little body work involved. I like how he bought a new section of roof and then spliced the two of them. Very neat and easy way to do it.

I'm wondering if I should buy a dually (F450 ?) to do this to. But then I need to do the Cummins swap and build another rear suspension for it.

To me this makes a lot more sense than getting a MDT, which still doesn't seat 6+ and then you have to rebuild the suspension so that it rides nice and you have to build a tow bed for it.
So you are saying if I stretch the cab and then throw in the 6.7 Cummins and 1000 series Allison I have setting next to my 550 on the shop floor it would be the cats meow? :poke:

I know that adding doors would be easier than replicating a mega cab but I don't need/want the extra doors. I just want more leg room in the back. I am even planning on putting bucket seats in the back as well so this isn't for more seating in my case like the original poster wanted. I am going to be addin a lot of electronics and need the room for them as well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you are saying if I stretch the cab and then throw in the 6.7 Cummins and 1000 series Allison I have setting next to my 550 on the shop floor it would be the cats meow? :poke:
How are you going to tie the Allison electronics to the Cummins ? I've already got the Cummins in my truck. I'm looking at the Allison.

I know that adding doors would be easier than replicating a mega cab but I don't need/want the extra doors. I just want more leg room in the back. I am even planning on putting bucket seats in the back as well so this isn't for more seating in my case like the original poster wanted. I am going to be addin a lot of electronics and need the room for them as well.
Each to his own.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts