Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of 35s that are heavy enough to tow with. The best I can find are Swamper SSR radials that are 10ply and E load range. Bad thing is, they are $265 a tire or $1172 mounted and balanced.

Do I have any other options that I am not aware of? I can't seem to find anyone who makes a 35 for a 16.5 inch wheel anymore......:doh:

·
Local Machine Gun Builder
496 Posts
Try Berg tires in NC. Might be taller than what you need but there are TONS of 37" radial and 36" bias HMMWV tires surplused every day although for a 12" wide wheel could be a bitch to mount.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the biggest tire I can fit is a 35inch. 36's might rub, plus I'm not sure if the bias ply will give me the weight capacity or the ride I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
BFG make a 35/12.50/16.5 rim....bad thing is they are only shipping to a few retailers as they just came off back order.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I also had this problem, and ended up with Interco Trxxus STS's 36X14.5X16.5. The tires lasted 30K and they were bald, so I got new rims and tires the second time around.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
The BFG ATs 35" on a 16.5" rim are a good tire. Last awhile & ride smooth. Good for the street, sand & snow just don't expect to go through much mud with em.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
Yea the BFGs I had were really good, and they were the 16.5s you should just get them

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the BFGs I had were really good, and they were the 16.5s you should just get them
Well the 16.5's are my summer wheels and I want an aggressive looking tire that I can also pull trailers with. I currently have the 315 BFG ATs on my 16 inch Mickey Thompson 'winter' wheels. I really don't want the all terrains on my pretty 16.5 Welds. If I have to do that then I might as well just sell the 16.5s and keep what I already got and run them year around.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You could take your rims to a machine shop and have them turned down to a 16" rim. I know a couple of guys locally that have had it done for less the $25 a wheel.
Just one more option for you to think about.

Billy

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
yea 16.5 is a dieing breed thats why instead of buying more 16.5 tires i went and bought new tires and weels and went with 17s

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could take your rims to a machine shop and have them turned down to a 16" rim. I know a couple of guys locally that have had it done for less the $25 a wheel.
Just one more option for you to think about.

Billy
Really? That's interesting. I might have to look into that. Just take a 1/4 of an inch off each wheel right? hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
yeah I think its like 1/4" around. Its really alot easier to find tires for a 16" rim.

Billy

·
Registered
703 Posts
buy new wheels it would be easier

·
Registered
703 Posts
the taper od the lip of the wheel is different between the 16.5 and 16. little more involved then just getting rid on a 1/4 inch

·
Registered
579 Posts
i know that the tires/rims the military uses on the humvees are 16.5x12 rims. sooo you might be able to pick up a set of tires at a DRMO auction. or find a friend who works in a motor pool.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
There is a member on here that has the Hummer tires for sale down in the Classifieds. Some were even load range D.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts