Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished putting a '97 powerstroke together for a customer and have a new problem.

the truck came in with a lack of power and a miss. turns out 1 injector had a bad plunger and barrell. while we had them opened up i installed a set of machined intensifier pistons to make 160cc injectors. i also converted it to a super duty turbo and put an intercooler on it. i built a 3.5 inch down pipe and put a 4" straight pipe on it as well.

i got the truck running and took it out for a test drive and to work the air out of the injectors. the truck was starting to run good then i blew off an intercooler pipe. after fixing that i took the truck back out.

at about 2200-2400 with my foot in it, the truck feels like it is blowing a i/c boot off again but it is not. at the same time this happens the truck throws up a wall of white and blue smoke and the truck falls on its face. if i let off the throttle the smoke goes away. then i can get back into the thottle and all is good again till about 2200 rpm and it does the same thing.

it will do this repeatedly. and, every time if i take my foot off the throttle, it clears up and runs fine. the truck idles perfect and runs very smooth and clean right up to this point. with low load it will rev all the way to 3600 without a hiccup.

if i keep my foot in it, the smoke only gets worse and makes no power.

i dont know what to do here. i NEED some help figuring this one out.

thanks
barry

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I don't have a clue, good luck

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Is the wastegate opening up?

Have you watched map and ipc with the scan tool when this happens?

How is fuel pressure when this happens?

I think it is also interesting that this happended after the intercooler boot blew. Maybe look over the turbo.

That is at least where I would start looking if it was mine.

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the wastegate opening up?

Have you watched map and ipc with the scan tool when this happens?

How is fuel pressure when this happens?

I think it is also interesting that this happended after the intercooler boot blew. Maybe look over the turbo.

That is at least where I would start looking if it was mine.
i do not believe the w/g is opening. i tightend up the w/g actuator rod slightly when i installed it and do not currently have a boost line hooked up to it. the turbo feels fine. i have not put a scan tool on it yet. i will do that tomorrow. i think that the i/c boot coming off is just a coincedence, i had a bad hose clamp.

when it first did it i thought maybe a plugged fuel filter so i changed it. i have not yet checked the driving fuel pressure yet. tomorrow.

thanks
barry

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a boost leak or something blocking the intake?
if it were a boost leak, i would expect it to blow black smoke and be low on power not damn near shut down and billow white smoke.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I would seriously look at the turbo and check the shaft for movement. You may have damaged the turbo when the boot popped off expecially with the wastegate not hooked up. Since it does it every time you get to the same rpm's I am thinking that the turbo is getting up to the same rotational speed and maybe locking up then you get off the throttle and it isn't under load again and spins free. Just my .02.

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will check the turbo shaft out in the morning

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i figured it out. duh. the inlet tube on the compressor housing was collapsing under boost. simple problem but it gave me a hell of a panic. lol

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Thanks for coming back to post the solution. What kind of intake tube where you using that collapsed? What kind of intake filter?

·
master fabricator
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was the updated part from ford for an obs. brand new. and a k and n filters. the intake tube did not quite fit right on the obs w/ a superduty turbo which caused it to slightly deform.

thanks for the ideas

barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts