Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a damn M32A, Sportsmobile or Earth Roamer can make it through mud, sand and snow, why can't my Ex do it? The 4x4 is a joke, I had a tech here at my shop tell me a locker won't help.

I have 315 KO's on 16" Welds and it and it won't even hardly drive on a slick, snow covered road.

Anyway, I want to be able to negotiate some sand and do light off roading, what are some options???

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I cant see why your truck is not capable in its current condition.
But a locker will most certainly help if you do not have a limited slip

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
snow coverd hard road is slick..... yours will do fine on sand, mud, rocks(that arnt coverd in ice and snow!) only way to find out is to take it offroad and find out..ive got a similar setup as you except 265/65/18 ko's and stock lift and mine goes through anything ive tried so far. real good in the mud... it so heavy it just sinks down past the slick stuff and bites the harder stuff underneath..... now if your talking bottomless mud then no it wont perform....

as far a locker yes that will help...(not on snow road though)
you could always put arbs front and rear and a 15k winch on the front and be set for most any trail thats not tight

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks like you could easily step up to 37's. Add front & rear lockers & you'd have a beast of a 4x4. Might also want to consider a more aggressive tire. Side note - are you moving your hubs to the "Lock" position? I know if I leave mine in the "Auto" position, it's like I'm still in 2wd, but if I move them to "Lock", mine will go about anywhere a longbed crew cab will fit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you could easily step up to 37's. Add front & rear lockers & you'd have a beast of a 4x4. Might also want to consider a more aggressive tire. Side note - are you moving your hubs to the "Lock" position? I know if I leave mine in the "Auto" position, it's like I'm still in 2wd, but if I move them to "Lock", mine will go about anywhere a longbed crew cab will fit.
I use the switch on the dash, my hubs are covered by the center cap...

·
Sponsor w/out Blue name
1,503 Posts
i would just say, get some lockers, and get rid of the chitty bfg AT's and go to a Mickey Thompson of some kind or a BFG KM2, or a Toyo MT

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
If your tech told you a locker won't help, I'd recommend finding a new tech. A TruTrac, air locker, or a Detroit Locker will make a HUGE difference in traction.

If you do most of your driving on-road (2wd), I'd install a TruTrac's front and rear, or a TruTrac in the rear and an air locker up front.

In the snow, adding some weight in the rear of your Ex will also help, as will lowering your tire pressure.

Different tires can also make a world of difference.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
Ditch your Tech...he is a retard...ARB Air Lockers will make your Excursion an offroad animal!

Mine is pretty much an Excursion...

But you asked specifically about Excursions...so I will show you one of my customers Excursions...

5” ICON All Spring Lift, , Iron Bull Bumpers, ARB Air Lockers & Compressor, 4.56 gears, Warn 16.5ti winch, Dynatrac Freespin Conversion / Warn Hubs, RBP Exhaust, OUO Traction Bars, 37”Toyo mudders, 20”XD Enduros .

Fully capable off road vehicle..

·
Banned
345 Posts
Ditch your Tech...he is a retard...ARB Air Lockers will make your Excursion an offroad animal!

But you asked specifically about Excursions...so I will show you one of my customers Excursions...

5” ICON All Spring Lift, , Iron Bull Bumpers, ARB Air Lockers & Compressor, 4.56 gears, Warn 16.5ti winch, Dynatrac Freespin Conversion / Warn Hubs, RBP Exhaust, OUO Traction Bars, 37”Toyo mudders, 20”XD Enduros .

That is a sweet excursion. I will only dream for now. My wife would not allow me to that our family cruiser just yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts

That is bad a** !!!!!!!!!

·
248-798-6609
33 Posts
Pitch the tires along with your tech. Then put on a set of good lock outs you can lock and know they work. The factory Ford vacuum lock outs aren't worth the aluminum they are made out of.
My 2002 Ex. Limited does great off road with MileMarker lock outs 8 in. lift and 315/75-16 Goodyear Dura-Trac tires. It also did just as good with 305's and a 4" lift.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pitch the tires along with your tech. Then put on a set of good lock outs you can lock and know they work. The factory Ford vacuum lock outs aren't worth the aluminum they are made out of.
My 2002 Ex. Limited does great off road with MileMarker lock outs 8 in. lift and 315/75-16 Goodyear Dura-Trac tires. It also did just as good with 305's and a 4" lift.
what lift? do you have a nice quality ride or does it rattle your teeth out??

·
Registered
205 Posts
Like others said. Get a locker. Get rid of the tires they are junk. Those at are worse than a lot of street tires they don't clean out and turn in to slicks immediately. They are heavy enough vehicles they can be mean off road with the correct tire. I would do tires see how it does then if not to your standard put a locker in Ect. Ect. till your happy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is a BDS lift and I think it rides great. Hell my wife doesn't even complain.
Here are a few pics of mine.
where'd you get that spare carrier???

·
248-798-6609
33 Posts
I made it. It folds down to access the rear doors. My cb whip is mounted to it and it holds a full sized 35" tire. It doesn't block any rear vision and keeps the rear safe from people not paying attention.

·
Registered
90 Posts
03 Excursion w/ ARBs front and rear Icon lift kit 38x15.50 Toyo MTs 4.56 Gears It got used offroad every chance it got!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts