Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a e99 with a 6spd. ive had it for 3 years and never really done anything with it. its becoming a bit of a dog. i ordered 4" turbo back exhaust and a s&b intake. ive got 4" lift and 315/75r16 pro comp xtreme ats. the clutch is a stock replacement with only like 40k on it. what else do i need to do/ change esp. since its a early 99? im open to any suggestion and really appreciate any help you can give me. just keep in mind i AM on a budget and just wanna bring the ole girl back to life again. thanks fellas

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
How many miles on it? When you say a dog, is it just slow, or are you having issues with it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its got 206k on it, towing probably 40% of the time since i bought i with 100k on it. and as far as it being a dog it just lacks the power it had. no real issues i think the orings are leaking on the injectors. other than that it has been a trouble free truck. only thing ive ever had to do is put an alternator in it and a water pump

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
206 is just a teenager. Check the firewall for signs of soot. If you see any, it is time for up pipe donuts, those are a blast to change. Run a buzz and a cylinder contribution test. Those will let you know the health of your injectors. Check all of your intercooler and other boots for leaks. Check the intercooler tubes also, sometimes a wire loom will vibrate on them and rub a hole in there.

Just simple but time consuming maintenance issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buzz and cyl contribution test????

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Buzz test checks the electrical side of the injectors. Cylinder contribution test makes sure all of the cylinders are working together, a low reading on one cylinder can tell you a lot.

You need a good scan tool to run these tests on your own, Most good shops can do them for you. Call around, if they act like they don't know what those tests are, call another shop.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man, assuming thats all ok or gets taken care of what else do you suggest?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Gauges, and a custom chip. 6 positions, change them on the fly. Lots of sponsors here sell them. Mine is by Tony Wildman at Total Diesel Performance. I have a stock position, economy position, daily driver position, tow position, a race position, and a no start position. I think I am going to change the no start to a valet/wife position (max speed of 30MPH). Start there and keep reading. You will quickly get PSM disease (Power Stroke Mod). No cure, you just have to keep feeding it, and it can get into your wallet in a hurry.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Gauges, and a custom chip. 6 positions, change them on the fly. Lots of sponsors here sell them. Mine is by Tony Wildman at Total Diesel Performance. I have a stock position, economy position, daily driver position, tow position, a race position, and a no start position. I think I am going to change the no start to a valet/wife position (max speed of 30MPH). Start there and keep reading. You will quickly get PSM disease (Power Stroke Mod). No cure, you just have to keep feeding it, and it can get into your wallet in a hurry.
LOL :ford:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have gauges on the way, just waiting for the guy to send me shipping info, and i was looking at DPtuner. ive been doing a lot of reading this week cuz im outta town for training so im at a hotel bored to death but Ive noticed that most of what i read says tw for the old body style and dp for the new body style. what do you think about that?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Tony rights good tunes for any body style. DP is a good tuner also.

All of the tuners on here use the TS style chip. You can switch between tuners all you want. DP uses a proprietary chip, they are the only ones that can write tunes for it. However, you can order them online, and load a tune on it with a USB connection to a laptop. Good feature.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, bare with me im gonna pick your brain a lil more. as i said before im on a budget. i would like to do stage 1 injectors. where can i buy a diy stage 1 kit and will it fit early 99 sticks or do i need to buy another set of used newer ones?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Rosewood injectors. They are a sponsor on this site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts