Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well recently my truck broke down and had some electrical issues and i spent a bit of money having it fixed and it made me realize Im going to be sticking a little bit of money into it to maintaine it. So ive really concidered selling it and buying something newer. I love my old truck and really dont want to sell it. It feels like i would be selling one of my family. but pretty soon I can see myself sticking upwards of 5,000 into her easily. I found a nice 2000 7.3L i would really like to get my hands on but I dont know. Give me some advice. Which do you all think would be the best route? Keep the 97 or buy the 2000? thanks.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=276627358&dealer_id=65129895&car_year=2000&rdm=1269065545706&lastStartYear=1981&model=F250&num_records=75&systime=&make3=CHEV&make2=FORD&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&engine=&certified=&fuel=Diesel&body_code=32&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=500&marketZipError=false&model3=CHEVC25&model2=F350&search_lang=en&sownerid=2066148&showZipError=n&first_record=76&make=FORD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=0&body_style=TRUCKS&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=&position=top&position=top&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=distance&address=45036&only_photo=1&advanced=y&end_year=2011&pager.offset=75&doors=&transmission=&max_price=15000&cardist=46&standard=false

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but a few years down the road. hopefully when Im out of school too...

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well yeah im aware of that. I have the money to buy it. I dont buythings I cant "BUY"... thats why this country is soo economically screwed. People charging stuff they cant afford... And I know it will need the minor stuff like u joints, ball joints, tires, change the oil, etc. Fuel wont be any more than the one I have now. Insurance should be about the same maybe higher or lower since its newer but safer. You have an OBS truck have you had to stick a bunch of money in it?

·
Sponge
219 Posts
I don't know man. $5000. Really? I bought an entire great running 97 F350 with everything working as a donor truck for my 4wd conversion for half that. The body was shot but it was mechanically solid. Until I got hold of it!:D That is.

It's hard to imagine having to spend more than a few hundred bucks here and there to keep one of these old PSDs on the road. Unless you need a whole new engine. And even then there's fully dressed running low mileage motors on here and elsewhere for $1000. Heck, I got one on a stand in my garage I can't get rid of.

In my opinion, you're rolling the dice with another truck unless it's brand new. And that kind of money is the same as 12-15 donor trucks!;)

So unless the problems you're having are chronic and it's really stressing you out (another truck would put that behind you), I'd say you should stick it out and get your current truck running right again. Be patient but proactive, and watch closely for wrecked or parting out situations and you can replace every electrical component in your truck for just a few hundred bucks.

I've had two OBS trucks since 2002. And aside from oil, filter, belt changes. I haven't spent more than $300 in maintenance the whole time.

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im gonna need a new tranny soon,(id like a BTS) new front shocks, the entire EBPV circut needs replaced. Engine harness will prolly go bad again soon. I need a new turbo with my set up(found a d66 for 800). New bushings for the cab. tires are 800 bucks easily. I do like the older trucks though because people look at you like "yeah, like that dinosaur is gonna make it off the line" and you blow the doors off of the fart can cars. haha

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
a bts would be nice but if you can afford it you can always have a local trans shop upgrade parts and install a stronger TC. have you thought about looking for some deals on used tires on craigslist? why would the engine harness go bad again? your stock turbo will be fine with stage 1's if you drive it right and not like you stole it.

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Did I call this or what?
'97 7.3 TURBO ENGINE STILL IN TRUCK $1000 - Powerstroke Nation
12 minutes after my post! LOL

You didn't say you were looking at five grand worth of performance upgrades. It sounded to me like you were having a hard time keeping it on the road. Big difference. If you just need cheap power, perhaps you should consider a Dodge.:D

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Id rather walk man... haha and no Im not looking for performance upgrades but if your gonna stick a couple grand in a tranny why not stick a couple grand more in it and have something thats bullet proof. And I try to stay away from used rubber. haha I was having trouble keeping it on the road. It didnt run... The gear shifter is going out too and pretty much all 4wd stuff needs going over. I have quite a bit of play in my front drive parts.

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that motor would be perfect for my dream jeep project. haha

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check mate... Think this truck will last me 3 more years. because what I really would like to do is keep my baby and after I graduate buy a nice truck and turn this one into a project truck.

·
Sponge
219 Posts
that motor would be perfect for my dream jeep project. haha
Yeah. Since they're apparently not worth much, I'm thinking of doing that with mine. I'd like to put it in a Bronco or a old (70's) pickup. But I got to wait for both the little ones to be in school full time before I start a time/money/garage hogging project like that.

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I would love to get a CJ7 and drop a 4bt or a stroker in it. Hope you git the kids in school soon. haha

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in the same boat last summer but after thinking about it, I found that it was cheaper to keep my obs and just do things little by little.
what all have you had to replace?

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well your about in the same boat as me then. My front fenders are in great shape but the bed is getting it around the wheel wells...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts