Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my situation...I live in Reno, NV. I have a 1997 PSD with a ZF5 transmission. The clutch is gone. The syncros in the trans are wasted. I need this truck going asap. I have the new clutch kit, and I have the trans rebuild kit with bearings, seals and syncros. I work at an auto repair shop, but we don't know or deal with thing 1 about transmissions...Trying to save a buck and get my hands dirty to the point I am familiar with, I want to pull the transmission out and take it to someone to be rebuilt (because I don't know how to properly do it, despite Alldata's guide...I don't want to do it twice, plus I need a quick turn around).
To my suprise, I open the phonebook and start calling, and every major trans rebuilder says they won't touch a tranny out of the truck, but they will be happy to take the whole vehicle and do it (haha, thats what, an additional 8-10 hrs of labor to r/r it? lol...wonder why they want that)
So, I have had to resort to the smaller shops and backyard mechanics upon referral from others...and every one says they won't touch it because they don't have the proper tools required. I even put a CL ad titled "Transmission rebuilder needed...cash in hand", and have had no hits. No junkyards have any, and other used/rebuilt/whatever ones that I can find are $2,000+ (which is too much money) WHAT DO I DO? I am getting to the point where I am willing to travel to get this work done...Is there anyone from Northern Nevada or Northern California that can help refer me to anyone that can get this done asap?
I went on Rotunda Tools website and from the tool part numbers I have, only a couple of the numbers cross reference, but some of the other major ones are not listed. Snap On and Cornwell are of no help. I know some homebrew tools, and that thought just scares me. I really don't want to have to resort to doing it myself as 1/2 of those I hear from say its easy, and the others say its f**k'd...and the fact guys who do it one the side for cash money won't even touch it really has me concerned. Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you might try talking to a 18 wheeler repair shop/dealer and find out where they ship their trannies for repair

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you might try talking to a 18 wheeler repair shop/dealer and find out where they ship their trannies for repair
Have you called Six States? They have a branch in Elko. I know the one here in Boise would do it.

Thanks :) I'll be makin more phonecalls come Monday based on your suggestions :ford:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts