Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a van turbo with a 1.15 ex housing on it and I want to get a 1.0. I have big tires and am wayyy under the turbo @ cruising speed. Any Ideas?

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Why dont you just come right out and ask if its worth having a 1.0 housing machined for a van turbo? :poke:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still am laughing at my own Title.... :hehe:

I just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on the situation.:poke:

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
What are your EGT's at say 70mph and what are your RPM's at 70mph?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are your EGT's at say 70mph and what are your RPM's at 70mph?
egt's are about 800, 3-4 lbs of boost, not sure on the rpm vs MPH the speedo is off.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did some calculations and it seems this is what I have in OD yes I know I need gears,lol

1500 rpm is 62.0 mph
2000 rpm is 82.7 mph

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
egt's are about 800, 3-4 lbs of boost, not sure on the rpm vs MPH the speedo is off.
Your boost seems normal while cruising. Mine is around there IIRC. But my EGT's are around 700 @ 70mph.

I just did some calculations and it seems this is what I have in OD yes I know I need gears,lol

1500 rpm is 62.0 mph
2000 rpm is 82.7 mph
My speed-o-meter is re-calibrated and on 35's, im at about 1750 rpm's @ 70mph. I think you just need a lower gear to raise your rpm's. Even with a tighter housing, the engine is gonna be lugging at those low RPM's. Hopefully someone will chime in with some better info than I can provide. :D

P.S. What size tires?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it figured out what I need to do, I'm gonnt use a 1.0 ex housing on a stock superduty turbo and see how that works til I can get a 38r.

Thanks to Matt @ Gearhead and Bean's for helping me. :ford:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update ... I had a stock SD turbo laying around so with the help of RedSmokey I put together another turbo with a smaller housing to test things out.

ATS Housing,WW and a 1.0 exhaust housing (RedSmokeys) and bolted it all together one morning and in 2 hours I was going again.

I had tested the day before with the cruise set @ 60MPH I was running 3 lbs if boost and 800 deg on a flat strech of road. After the change I went up to 4 lbs of boost and dropped to 675 deg ! I was shocked that it dropped that much. It is better to drive with no Lag but I only have the wastegate set @ 25 so it flatens out up top. I will be fixing that !

In a few days I'll have better mileage I'm shure. Oh according to my sisters I-Phone 60 MPH in my truck is 72 MPH :doh:

Good call Matt

you'd get better mileage at that speed with 4-5lbs of boost and 700 degrees EGT....

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Update ... I had a stock SD turbo laying around so with the help of RedSmokey I put together another turbo with a smaller housing to test things out.

ATS Housing,WW and a 1.0 exhaust housing (RedSmokeys) and bolted it all together one morning and in 2 hours I was going again.

I had tested the day before with the cruise set @ 60MPH I was running 3 lbs if boost and 800 deg on a flat strech of road. After the change I went up to 4 lbs of boost and dropped to 675 deg ! I was shocked that it dropped that much. It is better to drive with no Lag but I only have the wastegate set @ 25 so it flatens out up top. I will be fixing that !

In a few days I'll have better mileage I'm shure. Oh according to my sisters I-Phone 60 MPH in my truck is 72 MPH :doh:

Good call Matt
That's exactly what I was running before I got my 38R. It was a nice budget set-up (if some of it is free) and towed awesome. Glad It worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Were you running that turbo set-up with the hybrids? I towed with it yesterday and its pretty sweet. I like it better than the Van turbo for sure.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Were you running that turbo set-up with the hybrids? I towed with it yesterday and its pretty sweet. I like it better than the Van turbo for sure.
Good to hear buddy!

So we going to rebuild my turbo this weekend or next week when all the parts get in? :poke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts