Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my experiences. I need to get a muffler on my Excurson due to the new smog regs. here in Cali. Got it installed and now that I have removed my delete pipe, I'm quite happy how quiet the rig is now. I actually like it better. Not so annoying and my mega-buck stereo sounds better to boot. I have no issues what so ever with drone like others have experienced.

BTW...thanks to Nate, he hooked me up with a nice deal too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So you got just the muffler right? now the 4" turbo back. I was thinking about putting a muffler on mine. (currently straight piped). Did you gain any or lose performance?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a buddy who works on all of the San Francisco city owned Diesels and he was tellin me that there isnt even a legit smog test for diesels in CA yet and the main focus is on heavier machines and trucks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, let me clarify. I bought the EX used in 2005 and it had a 4" turbo back with a muffler. I think it was a Jegs or Summit system. Sounded OK, but I wanted the straight pipe. I drove it like that for 4.5 years and to be honest, the deleted muffler was starting to get to me. With towing my toybox and all, it just was getting to be a little much. Now, that the new regs are in place for smog, it gave me a reason to get another muffler. I wanted it anyways for the quietness.

It slipped right into place...no issues and the cab is alot quieter. I didn't realize how much added backround noise the straight pipe introduced. I haven't noticed any performance issues either. I did notice the turbo is more noticable from the engine now versus the tailpipe with the window down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ahhh i mostly questioned because so far my truck is stock and im looking into upgrades and my friend has shown signs of losing his like buying a gas chevy

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I added a 5" straight thru Magnaflow muffler to my exhaust about 6 weeks ago and I too was very happy w/ the results.

Of course a muffler does nothing at all for smog but it does help w/ noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts