Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just lost my 7.3 after 143xxx miles:( A little premature but what can I do now. I have pulled the drivers side head after replacing the hpop and injector on the number 2 cylinder with no cures for my miss in the engine. Once I did that I was very disappointed to find a crack in the piston and a big hole right in the center. 3 of the 4 pistons have small cracks in them and the cylinder with the hole has a small scratch going down the cylinder wall. My question for you guys is do I just replace my components with stock replacements or upgrade. The local machine shop here in utah county wants 1050 just for pistons, rings, bearings and the crank polished/checked. Any opinions on other sources and what machining I should get done?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics 99 stroker.jpg

Feb13_0002.jpg

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
that sucks,:doh: what year is your truck and what mods have you done to it. this may be the time to upgrade to forged rods if your truck is new enough to have PMR's
also what are your future plans for the truck.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you have the money to do it and plan on adding power do it right. AT the very min get the cryo Forged rods from WOP better yet if you have the $$ get Hypermax Rod as I have seen those handle a few blocks letting go and still be GTG.

Question:

What injectors, if not stock, and Chip/tunes, if any, had you been running?

You said this was not only one piston but a number of them with cracks found in them, correct? That would mean this was not a instance of one injector gone bad and dumping to much fuel and burning thru the piston. Have you settled on a cause yet?

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Sorry to hear, unless there was some performance enhancing mods and alot of foot action, thats not a whole lot of miles at all. Subscribing.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Sorry to hear, unless there was some performance enhancing mods and alot of foot action, thats not a whole lot of miles at all. Subscribing.
Were you driving it in the highest setting everyday?
Also is that a dent in the 5 o'clock position of the outer edge of the dish? You may want to look at the turbo for some missing pieces as well. Cracks and scratch could mean foreign object.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I would also suggest that you consider Wide Open Performance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response guys. I am working on getting my signature up but am struggling a little. This is my first post so we will see.

that sucks,:doh: what year is your truck and what mods have you done to it. this may be the time to upgrade to forged rods if your truck is new enough to have PMR's
also what are your future plans for the truck.
The truck is a late 99 with an edge 3 stage chip, 5" exhaust, afe intake, rebuilt stock injectors, bts trans, lift, wheels/tires and a few appearance mods. I

I had the chip set at the maximum setting when it went down. I was pulling up a steep grade with my brothers 6.5 diesel powered ec lb 3/4 ton truck in tow behind me. I started spewing oil everywher so we pulled over at the top and My hpop had blown the line seal at the upper hose. I had my trucked towed to my small shop where I replaced the pump with a new upgraded unit. After i was done I took the truck out and it ran very poor. I was told i just had to bleed the air out of the pump so I drove it really hard for a few miles(15-20). It didf not help so I ran a buzz test that showed everything good on that side. I then did a contribution test and found number 2 cyl. down. I replaced the injector hoping for the best. once again no avail so i did a compression check which failed as well so i pulled the head to find this. The exhaust temps were all in good range when it went down. I think it was some of the abuse the motor had gone through before this pull that put her out when i made the tug up the grade.
I use my truck to haul old cars and trucks as well as a camper and such. It has served me well up until now. I will definitely check out wop for those upgraded parts. I don't mind spending the money now to help my truck stay on the road. I don't see the truck's life getting any easier down the road so I want it beefed up pretty good.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
location could make a big diff. also how much cash do you have
or credit. since the motor is comming out .

but if it was my truck i would sleeve a cylinder or two.
there are a few sponsors that have rebuild kits . or coated pistons.
assuming rods are ok , i would replace springs, pushrods, with better once , add headstuds, and do injectors (diy stage 3)
and then i'd get a new chip from beans. probably his modded h2e or bb turbo as well.

you'll be back in action with a stronger better running truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Most likely I will be going to wide open performance. After checking out their website I fouynd I am located about 30-35 miles to the south of them. I have the motor out now so I will send it off to get the machine work done. after that I will talk to them for components. I really appreciate the input though guys. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That sures seems like a lot of piston damage from just using it as a tow rig. Did you regularly drive it hard with the edge hooked up while the engine was cold not letting it warm up properly? If it was driving habits I hope you will be changing them with this build as its going to be a big hunk of cash no matter how you cut it. At the very least if you go with WOP which I think it a get choice have them cryo everything. Its not much extra comparatively and increases the durability of the parts. Have a end performance goal in mind and talk it over with Zane and crew.h

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
shoot 30 miles you lucky ___.. ::drool:: makes for an easy decision
...well almost, they have an entirely far to dangerous supply of great stuff I would want on my truck. rebuild could get expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts