Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Turboprop
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  • My truck was in a wreck, but there was no engine damage
  • I ran the truck about 5 months ago and let it sit to collect dust
  • When I went to start it, I charged up the batteries and plugged it in to warm up
  • It started after about a 4 second crank, YAY! then ran super rough, and died in less than 20 seconds
  • When I went to restart it, it sounds like it's an air compressor now (see video)

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
I've started up a whole lot of 6.0s that sounded like that.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Turboprop
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it started. I had been researching some videos on YouTube about using the Torque App to watch certain values from the OBD-2 port. So I got all of that running beforehand.

Then, I got a big battery charger on wheels with a 250 Amp start mode. I charged everything up and the batteries may have been sulphated. Maybe some of the chargers I used eventually got that fixed. I borrowed a second phone to video the screen of my Torque App. I plugged in the engine block heater, too.

Anyway, I cranked it and sort of heard it attempt to start. But the charger is just rated for a 5 second crank, so I stopped and waited the three minutes. The second try, it got closer, but I noticed that not all of the gauges were moving. I realized that my screen had too many extra things on it, so while I was waiting, I removed some extra cruft.

The third time, I just let her go. It was a longer crank than I like to do, but it began to smooth out a little more and with all of the gauges showing ok, it finally started. I'll try to post an updated video of it starting.

I'm going to set an alarm every week to start the truck so I don't have this battle all the time. It needs some TLC so if I do want to sell or re-use the engine .... or if I ever fix the truck, it's good to go.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Some people put a battery tender on them and plug them in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bad batteries will do this, a slow starter will cause this too and kill the batteries.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Turboprop
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I've started my 6.0L with low batteries before and it never sounded like an air compressor. It would just be weak. I've ha d a lot of alternator problems over the years, so I got good at figuring out when I had a bad battery due to age or alternator issues.

The problem here was that it sat for about 6 months. During that time, I had a battery short out and fail even though it was on a maintainer. I had to remove that one and replace it with a spare. I had been charging them of course. The battery that failed this summer was a Ford Motorcraft that was about 5 years old.

The main issue was that something seems to have gone wrong in the fuel delivery. My guess is that something got through the fuel filters due to the prolonged shutdown... air or water or contaminants maybe? Like the diesel broke down somewhere in the system perhaps and it was no longer the right viscosity? A pump lost its prime? Bacteria or slime? It acted like "bad gas" if you know what I mean.

I did get a code for Cylinder 4, so maybe whatever it was is now causing it to be a bit weak... although I can't hear anything unusual when I idle or rev the engine.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,436 Posts
With frequent bad batteries (whatever the reason), the expensive FICM will eventually fail.

With bad fuel, you get low fuel pressure from plugged fuel filters or issues with the HFCM and that will cause expensive injector failure.

With a lack of driving, the turbo guide vanes (VGT system) will get stuck and need to be taken apart and cleaned. Not expensive, but it is a fair amount of work.

If the oil is thick or has a lot of miles on it, letting it sit for very long can cause the injector spool valves to stick (ie stiction). MAYBE some stiction additives cab help, but maybe it means new injectors.

Sounds to me like you may have issues with all of the above.

·
Registered
709 Posts
These engines will hide injector problems, you need to put under load to really notice it, or power brake it.

·
Turboprop
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ideas. With my truck sitting under cover and not really able to do much for loading except air conditioner and alternator loading, I might have to figure out some kind of "exercise program." I had my turbo cleaned LONG ago when I had all of my mods installed, and I was warned that I need to stop babying it and stomp the accelerator more. That was back when diesel costs were through the roof, which was why I was driving it so timidly. The shop owner actually told me that he had never seen a dirtier one. (Perhaps it was the previous owner's problem, too.)

So with my Ex sitting in the garage with the door open and revving the engine, I can barely get 3 psi of boost with no power to the wheels. I don't have a dyno sitting around, unfortunately! So while I could technically take it for a spin... there are major issues where that's not feasible to do it on the road just yet. I can add some fuel additives, but getting it up to speed would not be smart right now. Is there a product I could buy that would help to "exercise" her safely? Like a dolly or skid plate or don't even know what to call it? I can re-install my Superchips PCM/TCM mod and blow some black smoke again if I could do it standing still and get the wheels under load.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You probably have an injector out. Start with the easy cheap stuff like looking for boost leaks or dirty air cleaner, if you'd not throwing turbo codes it's probably not it but pulling and checking the turbo is easy. If you haven't checked the fuel filters or did the blue spring upgrade, do that. Keep more than 1/4 tank of fuel all the time.

Can you not drive it? Hooking up a trailer or just driving some hills? Really just flooring it ever once in awhile? A good heavy trailer with healthy truck will blow no smoke. In my opinion a pickup diesel should blow no smoke, and only breaks the truck sooner or later.

The test is just a regular power brake to 15-20 psi is a healthy truck power wise.

A tune would just make the other cylinders break faster.

·
Turboprop
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You probably have an injector out. Start with the easy cheap stuff like looking for boost leaks or dirty air cleaner, if you'd not throwing turbo codes it's probably not it but pulling and checking the turbo is easy. If you haven't checked the fuel filters or did the blue spring upgrade, do that. Keep more than 1/4 tank of fuel all the time.

Can you not drive it?
The truck itself is broken. I can drive it a few feet here and there, but the steering and brakes are both severely messed up. So I would have to run it on a stand or do something static. I could drive it up onto a trailer or into my shop. But I can't easily do a high-speed run.

I did the blue spring and other common mods so long ago, I couldn't tell you when exactly... maybe 7 years ago. But I had a shop do all the work past the simple: oil, fuel filters, and a coolant work that I did myself. I am trying to keep the truck running for now until I either sell the whole thing or decide if it's repairable and start some major body work. I could sell the engine out from it or gradually part it out ... not sure. It's much more valuable if the engine is in good shape of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts