Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17 and just bought my dads old work truck. 1999 f250 4x4 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 in it. The engine has 450k on it. What should I be doing to keep up the longevity and maybe give it more power. I just replaced my top and bottom ball joints, brake master cylinder, hydro boost and some other things because it needed it.

The transmission does shift a little hard but its not horrible YET, the turbo is nearly useless cause it's the one from the factory. There is no tune or anything, it is stock. There is a lot of rust on rockers, cab corners, door bottoms, ect. What would you recommend I do first, I want it to last but also have fun with it?

I will be straight piping it and getting new tires soon

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
116 Posts
I'm 17 and just bought my dads old work truck. 1999 f250 4x4 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 in it. The engine has 450k on it. What should I be doing to keep up the longevity and maybe give it more power. I just replaced my top and bottom ball joints, brake master cylinder, hydro boost and some other things because it needed it.

The transmission does shift a little hard but its not horrible YET, the turbo is nearly useless cause it's the one from the factory. There is no tune or anything, it is stock. There is a lot of rust on rockers, cab corners, door bottoms, ect. What would you recommend I do first, I want it to last but also have fun with it?

Ok, you bought your dad’s 22 year old half million mile truck and want to know what to do and how to make it last. First, continue doing what your dad was doing. Maintenance. Don’t try to build a race truck (more power) on a well used platform. Fix any broken stuff, drive it as is and enjoy it for what it is. Your dad’s ole work truck. You’ll be much happier with it that way. If your want more power, fancy options buy a new(er) truck and enjoy that. Your 17
Enjoy your dads ole truck!! Best of luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, you bought your dad’s 22 year old half million mile truck and want to know what to do and how to make it last. First, continue doing what your dad was doing. Maintenance. Don’t try to build a race truck (more power) on a well used platform. Fix any broken stuff, drive it as is and enjoy it for what it is. Your dad’s ole work truck. You’ll be much happier with it that way. If your want more power, fancy options buy a new(er) truck and enjoy that. Your 17
Enjoy your dads ole truck!! Best of luck
Yeah I cant afford to give it a lot more power. I do plan on keeping up with all the maintenance, just changed oil, air, fuel filters, and doing trans fluid soon. I'm also thinking of getting gauges: egt, trans tamp, ect are those gauges worth it or do you think I will be fine?

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
116 Posts
Yeah I cant afford to give it a lot more power. I do plan on keeping up with all the maintenance, just changed oil, air, fuel filters, and doing trans fluid soon. I'm also thinking of getting gauges: egt, trans tamp, ect are those gauges worth it or do you think I will be fine?
I have max tow gauges on mine, oil psi, water temp and fuel psi. I tow often as that is what I use my truck for. Your truck may need them, again it depends on how your going to use it.
daily driver, tow truck, or occasional driver.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Fuel presser gauge saved my rear last weekend , Not promoting the immediate installation , however down the road it would be a nice addition as you look to stay bissie .. I installed that and volt meter ,,Leaving town for a day and your Alt failing and leaving you up the creek or over the mountain with no return power mitch be a bitch ? Might just last a 100 miles before a no start, or problems show .. By then you'd be back home , wright ? The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congrats Andrew. One thing that makes a big difference is suspension. I would recommend upgrading to a better ride before increasing power …. especially if it’s still on the original leaf springs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been adding Marvel oil to my fuel nearly every tank since 2002. As I'm sure you know the injector tolerances of the T444E(7.3L) where engineered assuming higher lubrication in the fuel. As lubrication has been progressively extracted from Diesel the lubricity of the fuel has been diminished. I would guess your dad was adding lubrication to his fuel. Its a good idea. When I recently replaced my water pump. I noted cavitation erosion on the pump and on my front cover. Read up on cooling system maintenance specific to the 7.3L(T444E). I chose to put a pump that had a coolant filter base incorporated and started using an additive (RMI-25).

·
Registered
19 Posts

15-40 AMSOIL you can run it longer between changes and doing regular maintenance, and whatever dad was doing, 450 K Wow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been adding Marvel oil to my fuel nearly every tank since 2002. As I'm sure you know the injector tolerances of the T444E(7.3L) where engineered assuming higher lubrication in the fuel. As lubrication has been progressively extracted from Diesel the lubricity of the fuel has been diminished. I would guess your dad was adding lubrication to his fuel. Its a good idea. When I recently replaced my water pump. I noted cavitation erosion on the pump and on my front cover. Read up on cooling system maintenance specific to the 7.3L(T444E). I chose to put a pump that had a coolant filter base incorporated and started using an additive (RMI-25).
Tell me more...How much do you add and how did you come up with this as a solution? Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Powerstroke published a test of all fuel additives and probable fuel lubricants found on most any store shelf .. Marvel oil was included in the survey and other well none products .. The test told us that others did better , such as ashes outboard motoroil oil, The one tested and cheaper was Was sold as wall mart brand ..The best one shown at testing was soybean oil @ 2 percent ..Outbord oil tested was at 2 % also ,tested in diesel fuel without the normal lubricant added .. Any oil added in addition to oiled diesel fuel would be quiet good .The listed outboard ashless fuel oil would be my choice to enrich diesel fuel @ 1 percent plus the normal lube in it.. Oregon law mandates a 5 % Soybean Diesel fuel as standard fuel .. My Pacific Pride card lists diesel fuel as B 5 fuel . Had a hard time with this note , get some ashess out board oil and add a touch to your tank , your good to go.. The Gov Holmes """" Posted Years Ago """ Sorry bout that

·
Registered
146 Posts
The oil level to prevent wear is rated with a wear scar of .4 to a wear scar to .5 the lower mark is what the parts mfg. pull for and the higher wear mark is what the fuel suppliers hope they meet .. The 2% bio oil lowered the wear mark well below the .4 level all would hope to purchase .. The out board fuel lubricant was well up the list of tested products and very impressive . The oil added to the present lubricant contained in the diesel fuel would lower the wear scar to impressive levels .. Walmarts outboard oil for fuel treatment was the one tested , all oils of this type would work ,, theres bt the gallon would be the cheapest .. The cost of adding the oil will take years to benefit from the effort , add at any time or tank level as the returning fuel to tank does the mixing if you need it and missed @ filling the tank , 1 % oil is ample, half of that is better than nothing .. The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Why is the turbo useless because it's the one from the factory? It's the turbo that lasted 450K and probably has a lot of life left in it. And you can even rebuild it for about $90.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts