Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes,
I have a 99 f-350 sd 7.3. Here's the list off what I know it has.

Banks six gun
Banks trans command
Banks exhaust brake.
Banks intercooler
Banks big head waste gate
K&n filter
Possible upgraded turbo, as it looks diff then all my buddies

Ok here's the problem. When I start it up in the morning it runs perfect for about 5-7 mins. Then like someone flips a switch , it starts to idle rough not surging but a lot of vibrating shacking truck. Seems to have lost a little power until you get the rpms up to about 1100. So sitting at stop light it shakes. I have replaced fuel filter, oil change and filter. Changed oil in hpop resivour I checked the icp by unplugging it checked for loose wire conections. I noticed my alt. Was only at 8 v so I replaced that aswell. It does not smoke anything on start up. Doesn't hesitate to start runs pretty good aside from this Damn idle thing.

Im hesitant to take it to the stealership because I'm sure they will instantly say injectors or hpop.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again FatKid

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O yeah , I don't think it matters but it also has the 5" banks stainless exhaust .

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
First things first, I hope that's not a drop in K&N because it doesn't filter the air in most cases.
Secondly I'd loose that banks six gun and trans command junk and get a good 6 position chip with one of the sponsors tunes, you'd be amazed at how much better your truck will run.
And thirdly you don't need to ever change the oil in your hpop reservoir, its a wasted effort because all the engine oil from the oil pan to the reservoir mixes eventually.

Now your problem, based on your symptoms I'm leaning towards possibly having a dirty or bad IPR. There are plenty of write ups on how to clean it, and much more info if you want to try searching that.

Hope I helped some, welcome and nice truck by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you trailer hauler. I bought the truck with all the performance stuff on it, ill do some home work on the ipr

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Does your exhaust sound really choppy? Could be a bad injector

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oscs it sounds normal to me, I even compared it to my buddys stock psd they sound the same

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My truck behaved the same way very rough idle at stop lights but when rolling it was fine.. Ended up being a bad injector..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had q chance to check anything yet, but it seems to be getting better on its own. Weird huh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im back and still having the same problem, i picked up a autoenginuity and performed some test. here are my results

i ran a cylinder contribution test came back with "p0384 cylinder 8 ciruit contribution/balance fualt"

KOER test came back with p0472 exhaust pressure sensor low

p1211 injector control pressure higher/lower then desired

can anyone tell me what any or all this means please

also did a injector buzz test and eight sounder slight lower then the rest

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Secondly I'd loose that banks six gun and trans command junk and get a good 6 position chip with one of the sponsors tunes, you'd be amazed at how much better your truck will run.

So by taking out the Banks products, even if the guy has an open in an injector control circuit (not saying that's the problem though!), going out and buying a chip will fix it?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but let's try to help him with his problem first, ok?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
im back and still having the same problem, i picked up a autoenginuity and performed some test. here are my results

i ran a cylinder contribution test came back with "p0384 cylinder 8 ciruit contribution/balance fualt" Even a truck with no problems will set this code. More diagnosis is necessary because my money says that even if you replace that injector (because people have already desktop diagnosed that you have a bad injector), you will STILL have that code. Keep in mind that a cylinder contribution test DOES NOT tell you if you have a bad injector.

KOER test came back with p0472 exhaust pressure sensor low Could be wiring/sensor issue or simply a plugged backpressure sensor line.

p1211 injector control pressure higher/lower then desired Normal for an injection pressure fooling device such as a Six-Gun to set that code. However, to properly diagnose that one, you'll have to disconnect that device and check for proper values.

can anyone tell me what any or all this means please

also did a injector buzz test and eight sounder slight lower then the rest
Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank php. It's at the stealership now, hopefully it doesn't cost a arm and a leg

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Good luck with that they charge 200 to replace orings on a fuel bowl.
The factory part for the whole valve is 65 from ford, 40 from 3rd world auto parts store.
Viton orings two bucks....8 if your lazy and buy two small assorted size kits.

Cleaning the ebpv line is free,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
has anyone used alliant injectors? ford said i have two injectors not firing

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Thank php. It's at the stealership now, hopefully it doesn't cost a arm and a leg
Hoping won't help. Sorry.:(

As to the injectors, why aren't they firing, could just be your UVCH and not the injectors but the stealer will replace injectors just to stick it to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they said they were not firing and they wanted to pull them and test them and test compression on the engine, all for 800 bucks i told them to button it up and ill come get it. if it was the UVCH would it still BUZZ them on the test

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
I was told by a few mechanics (ford and aftermarket) to stay away from alliant injectors, they are junk and leak even when new. I've never dealt with them, that's just what I was told.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm pretty sure Alliant is the only company that builds new 7.3L injectors. LOL

They BETTER be decent!
I was gonna say.... Alliant is OEM, isn't it??:confused:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
in my experience, the dealers around here isn't a good place to get 7.3 work any more. Most of the guys that know anything about them have gone elsewhere. Good call on taking it away--time to get the hands dirty.

If it runs perfect for awhile, its NOT the injectors themselves. Verify that the injectors all get power -- a buzz test will do that. If the dealer identified the injectors 'not working', start with the harnesses on those. Gently wiggle the plugs while running to see if there is a damaged wire (its common on older trucks).

If injector electrical seems to check out, go to the IPR orings. After 5-10 minutes, the oil warms up, thins, and the idle goes to crap (or gets no starts)-- this is often orings.

Can you disconnect the sixgun and get any improvement? It alters the signals in the IPR circuit and if its going bad, then removing it could be the key.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts