Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently going down the road it felt like it was running out of diesel. I had a mechanic recently drop and clean the tank and seems to run low at different levels but frequently around 1/8 tank mark which wasn't quite there but ok. Happened to be right in front of diesel station so whipped in and filled it. Left out and it wouldn't stay running but would start and rev up fine. As soon as in gear it would die out eventually running out of fuel it seemed like. I noticed a puddle near the drivers door where I knew the filter and pump was so after looking the plug on the side was half way loose. Still wondering how that happened but I have replaced that filter 2 weeks prior so I tightened it up but seems like the truck is in limp mode. I have cleared all codes but not sure if you have to clear something special for limp mode. Any help?

·
Registered
344 Posts
RECENTLY GOING DOWN THE ROAD IT FELT LIKE IT WAS RUNNING OUT OF DIESEL. I HAD A MECHANIC RECENTLY DROP AND CLEAN THE TANK AND SEEMS TO RUN LOW AT DIFFERENT LEVELS BUT FREQUENTLY AROUND 1/8 TANK MARK WHICH WASN'T QUITE THERE BUT OK. HAPPENED TO BE RIGHT IN FRONT OF DIESEL STATION SO WHIPPED IN AND FILLED IT. LEFT OUT AND IT WOULDN'T STAY RUNNING BUT WOULD START AND REV UP FINE. AS SOON AS IN GEAR IT WOULD DIE OUT EVENTUALLY RUNNING OUT OF FUEL IT SEEMED LIKE. I NOTICED A PUDDLE NEAR THE DRIVERS DOOR WHERE I KNEW THE FILTER AND PUMP WAS SO AFTER LOOKING THE PLUG ON THE SIDE WAS HALF WAY LOOSE. STILL WONDERING HOW THAT HAPPENED BUT I HAVE REPLACED THAT FILTER 2 WEEKS PRIOR SO I TIGHTENED IT UP BUT SEEMS LIKE THE TRUCK IS IN LIMP MODE. I HAVE CLEARED ALL CODES BUT NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE TO CLEAR SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR LIMP MODE. ANY HELP?
First, take the caps lock off, please.
It sounds like a couple of symptoms happening at the same time. The first is the fuel pick up foot inside the tank failing or falling off, possibly causing a blockage. The second it the hfcm isn't moving enough fuel/keeping pressure high enough.
So, the first can cause the 2nd but they can be separate problems as well.
You need to pull the lower fuel filter out and see if there's any debris of any kind. If you don't find anything and the filter is still clean, then you might need a new pump or whole hfcm. If there's debris, you have a much bigger problem.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
33,065 Posts
fixed with Convert Case - Convert upper case to lower case, lower case to upper case and more!

Recently going down the road it felt like it was running out of diesel. I had a mechanic recently drop and clean the tank and seems to run low at different levels but frequently around 1/8 tank mark which wasn't quite there but ok. Happened to be right in front of diesel station so whipped in and filled it. Left out and it wouldn't stay running but would start and rev up fine. As soon as in gear it would die out eventually running out of fuel it seemed like. I noticed a puddle near the drivers door where I knew the filter and pump was so after looking the plug on the side was half way loose. Still wondering how that happened but I have replaced that filter 2 weeks prior so I tightened it up but seems like the truck is in limp mode. I have cleared all codes but not sure if you have to clear something special for limp mode. Any help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like a couple of symptoms happening at the same time. The first is the fuel pick up foot inside the tank failing or falling off, possibly causing a blockage. The second it the hfcm isn't moving enough fuel/keeping pressure high enough.
You need to pull the lower fuel filter out and see if there's any debris of any kind. If you don't find anything and the filter is still clean, then you might need a new pump or whole hfcm. If there's debris, you have a much bigger problem.

Thank you. I will be trying this and let you know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok one more question is I'm not hearing my normal clicking sound upon turning the key to the on position. but I can hear the fuel pump running. Is the clicking sound the pump or other?

·
Administrator
33,065 Posts
you have to make sure the buzz you hear is the fuel pump not the vacuum pump
the fuel pump should run for like 30 seconds and then time out until you start the truck

knowing fuel psi is a key element on a 6.0 since low fuel psi can do damage to injectors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts