Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in the heck was ford thinking???

After owning this truck for 2 months, I've figured that the tranny is Junk.
I'm towing 5k#, which isn't a stress for the truck or tranny but what I've found is my rpm is either too high or too low.
Driving along the hiway on flat ground is easy at all speeds, and I rev just under 2k with the cruise set on 70mph.
The problem is, I do alot of mountain pulling which puts me in the 50-65 mph range. At these speeds the truck either revs 1500 in od or 2500 in 3rd, I'm either too low or too high. The truck will run along fine at 55-65, but the minute I get any sort of climb there isn't enough R's to hold the speed, I'll click it out of od and then reduce speed so that my motor isn't blaring away.

I had a similar experience with my auto trans in the 07 cummins that I just sold, however that motor had the torque to push through the lug spots and it was never really an issue (stock cummins had alot more torque/hp than this 00 motor)

I'm guesing that I need to get ahold of dp and see if their ECU reflash will help me out. Any suggestions???

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
could also get a vb from jw or bts to help out a bit

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
What in the heck was ford thinking???

After owning this truck for 2 months, I've figured that the tranny is Junk.
I'm towing 5k#, which isn't a stress for the truck or tranny but what I've found is my rpm is either too high or too low.
Driving along the hiway on flat ground is easy at all speeds, and I rev just under 2k with the cruise set on 70mph.
The problem is, I do alot of mountain pulling which puts me in the 50-65 mph range. At these speeds the truck either revs 1500 in od or 2500 in 3rd, I'm either too low or too high. The truck will run along fine at 55-65, but the minute I get any sort of climb there isn't enough R's to hold the speed, I'll click it out of od and then reduce speed so that my motor isn't blaring away.

I had a similar experience with my auto trans in the 07 cummins that I just sold, however that motor had the torque to push through the lug spots and it was never really an issue (stock cummins had alot more torque/hp than this 00 motor)

I'm guesing that I need to get ahold of dp and see if their ECU reflash will help me out. Any suggestions???
2500-2800 is the perfect engine speed IMO. What is the problem?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I try to tow above 2000 rpms.

2200 to 2500 is even better. Get a good chip and it will make a difference.

This isn't a Cummins, it has a different powerband.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I tow 10K pound trailer in 7% almost every weekend fo where i ride ATV's and even a 8% grade but only a short while and i can keep 50mph floorin it. i only did a DIY intake and straight piped it. I waiting of some supporting mods to put a ship i have and it will for sure help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My truck likes the 2000 rpm range, and I feel that if I could keep it there in the hills the torque would keep me at a constant speed.
60 mph seems like it's 200+ rpm too low in od, and 400 rpm too high in 3rd.
I've been locking od out and slowing to 50-55 which puts me in the 2200 range and little throttle effort.
It just seems like the motor is screaming above 50 mph.
I'm hoping a tune will build enough torque in the 1700+ range to keep me moving along.

Is 2000r's a good target, or am I too low? Should I be using 2400+ rpm?

Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, if you asked me to trade this truck back for my 07 cummins and the truck payment that came with it, I'd say no way.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My truck likes the 2000 rpm range, and I feel that if I could keep it there in the hills the torque would keep me at a constant speed.
60 mph seems like it's 200+ rpm too low in od, and 400 rpm too high in 3rd.
I've been locking od out and slowing to 50-55 which puts me in the 2200 range and little throttle effort.
It just seems like the motor is screaming above 50 mph.
I'm hoping a tune will build enough torque in the 1700+ range to keep me moving along.

Is 2000r's a good target, or am I too low? Should I be using 2400+ rpm?

Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, if you asked me to trade this truck back for my 07 cummins and the truck payment that came with it, I'd say no way.
These engines will putt along and be happy at 3300 RPM all day long with less stress than it will be at 2000 RPM lugging and getting hot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Put it in 3rd gear, make sure the convertor is locked, and drive away... 2300 rpm is great, 2400 is better....... let it run

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be towing my enclosed trailer tues. I'll lock it out and spin it above 2k r's to see how she does.

I had an 05 and an 07 cummins, and am used to the towing/torque characteristics of that package. So I need to spend some time in this package and learn where she likes to run.
This ford is an older truck, but has low mileage, so my inclination is to baby it as opposed to putting it to work, and by the sounds of the advice above I haven't put her in the wheelhouse yet.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll be towing my enclosed trailer tues. I'll lock it out and spin it above 2k r's to see how she does.

I had an 05 and an 07 cummins, and am used to the towing/torque characteristics of that package. So I need to spend some time in this package and learn where she likes to run.
This ford is an older truck, but has low mileage, so my inclination is to baby it as opposed to putting it to work, and by the sounds of the advice above I haven't put her in the wheelhouse yet.
Is the truck tuned?

The thing you have to remember is that they are severly detuned and generally run like crap on stock calibrations. If you get a good chip or even an off the shelf programmer, it will make a big difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No tune, I was thinking of getting the dp flash for my ecu.
The truck has plenty of power empty. I tow my enclosed snowmobile trailer all winter 5k# and have no problem keeping a constant 65-70 mph while on the flats.
I chase the snow during winter and drive through NV up as far north as MT, and have towed through blizzards, headwinds, -30* temps, 100's of miles of 4x4 snow covered roads, (just last week I had the rear axle and trailer chained up) so this truck needs to stay turnkey reliable.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The problem with running most any kind of aftermarket calibration and the RPM that you think you want to run.....

You'll run into compressor surge and have to spend more money to rectify that situation.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
While I do agree there is too much RPM spread between the gears, that isn't your issue. The issue is, you have been driving a Cummins. You have to rev up a Powerstroke to make good power. They start pulling real well at 25-2600 RPM. Many of the older body style trucks spend their entire life above 2500 RPM.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
when your on the flats, od is nice, run around 1800rpm around 60-65 mph or something... as soon as the hills come... od off..wind it right up to the 2500+ mark and let it scream. straight piped, open intake, dp chip on 120... egt's at around 1k with a 8k flatbed running with the rest of traffic

give your truck a few simple diy mods, you and your engine will thank you :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I pull a 12K+ toyhauler in the mtns in Az and in the dp 40T @ about 1700 I take it out of od and ler it scream.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts