Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some reading in this section and what
gets me is the nay sayers. I have always
Strided for the best fuel economy in my trucks.
i am a lead foot at times when I get the
Urge. What i don't get is people trying to
come up with ideas and they get put down.
Its there money there truck. My last truck
i was able to get 25mpg on the freeway.
it was a 2001 f250 lariat 4X4 with chip
Dual exhaust air intake, and a regulated
Return system. Also a cover on bed. When
I make long runs i like to see how good it
can get. I bought my truck because i love to
drive it and will never sell it. How many of you
guys can say that in here. I used to race down
the freeway in my truck and i wasted alot of
fuel doing that. So in short keep coming up
With ideas guys for me to read and to try them.
I don't drive but maybe 10k miles a year it sits
In my garage in the winter time.

·
97 f250 5speed 7.3
26 Posts
I like to see how long is can make a tank go too. I have been using archoil fuel stablizer in my truck and have noticed more power and responsiveness. I have not had the chance to run my mileage yet, but it seams a bit better then before I was using it in my fuel.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My next thing im gonna try is. I will
have my truck live tuned while driving
Down the highway doing my normal
Speed and see how low he can get
my exhaust temps. I figure instead
of on a dyno.

·
1,084 Posts
Relatively low EGT is a sign of low load.

Generally, lower EGT = lower fuel flow. Fuel is what heats up the exhaust gas.

The exception is if you slow down the engine RPM at a given road speed. Then the air flow is not enough to cool down the exhaust gas even though the fuel flow is low.

Turbodiesel engines are most efficient at low RPM - high load. Right on the ragged edge of lugging is optimum.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Relatively low EGT is a sign of low load.

Generally, lower EGT = lower fuel flow. Fuel is what heats up the exhaust gas.

The exception is if you slow down the engine RPM at a given road speed. Then the air flow is not enough to cool down the exhaust gas even though the fuel flow is low.

Turbodiesel engines are most efficient at low RPM - high load. Right on the ragged edge of lugging is optimum.
That's why I like the 3.55 differential in my 96 F250. It keeps the rpms at relatively low levels, which may increase the EGTs when towing but usually results in better fuel mileage.

When not towing anything, I can depend on 22+ mpgs @ EGTs of 500 - 600F when at speeds of 1500 -2000 rpm (60 - 70 mph). My truck is always loaded with a 91 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and topper, resulting in an 8000-pound constant weight factor.

But normally, I'm towing a travel trailer at full GVWR. I'm usually at 1500 rpm (60 mph) on flat ground and get 14+ mpg. When I get in the mountains, I downshift when the EGTs rise above 1200 - 1300F, which quickly gets the heat down but raises the engine speed.

But normally, the lower rpms at EGTs of 800 - 1200F is where I'm at on level ground getting top-shelf mileage that is generally beat only by much lighter and smaller diesel rigs.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Other than Dave, you guys running single rear wheel 2wd trucks that sit low to the road?
I bought my '96 new and no matter what I do I have never seen better than 16 mpg on the highway.
It's 4x4 F-350, 3:55, and I honestly don't expect any better given what it is.
I've owned and driven all sorts of Power Strokes over the years, none were 2wd (useless here) and I will never accept a big truck getting more than say 20 mpg. I've done everything every one says and it just don't happen. I talk with customers weekly that claim 25 mpg, I'd love to ride with them and see for myself someday.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,800 Posts
Other than Dave, you guys running single rear wheel 2wd trucks that sit low to the road?
stock height 06 6.0 f250 2wd eclb with auto trans & 3.73 gears, best city mpg was 15, best highway mpg was 20.

my parents had a 92 2wd with auto & 3.55s (f250 eclb) that reportedly got 22mpg highway lol

·
1,084 Posts
Re: Post #7

Pickup trucks are designed for max versatility and with that comes max variability.

The biggest variable is the MPG version of fish stories. A lot of people make claims I just don't believe. Others get great MPG because they drive like grandpa. Most people with wild claims believe the lie-o-meter.

The lie-o-meter (even if it were honest) only gives you an instantaneous MPG figure. To me an MPG report is useless unless it represents 1500 miles and four fill-ups. Four fill-ups averages out variations in how full you get the tank. I don't have the time or patience or equipment to obsess over getting the same fill level every time.

There seems to be a subset of Dodge Cummins driver who drove very slow and get fabulous mileage. There is one not far from me. Nice guy but never drives over 45 MPH. He gets outrageous MPG and I'm not surprised. My truck would only be turning 900 RPM at that road speed.

I suspect you could drive your 4x4 at 45 MPG and routinely top 20 MPG. Myself, I can't drive that slow. I put the key in the switch for a reason. I'm going someplace I want to go and don't really feel like dying of old age before I get there. also, here in Indiana a slow driver might not get shot at but somebody might throw a chair at you.

Likewise I drive this truck a lot (315,000 miles) and just by the law of large numbers if I push the limit too hard I get tickets. I don't like paying fines.

As such, I think I remain faithful to the average driver by driving the limit. I might think it's too slow but it is within everyone's capability.

Terrain matters. I get good MPG because I live on a veritable pool table and don't have to fight grades.

You can get what you are willing to do what is necessary to get it. For most people they aren't that worried about it. People (who've never seen me) say I should get a little car for better MPG. Undoubtedly I could,but I'm the size of an adolescent grizzly bear and I appreciate the roomiest cab on the road.

Sometime you're coming through Naptown, contact me and we'll go for a drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts