Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Greasy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow powerstroke community,
I turned my truck on today and heard the regular humming of the fuel pump but it was accompanied by what sounded like somebody getting tazed. It was definitely an electrical zapping sound coming from the drivers side fender. It lasted about 30 seconds the stopped. After the glow plugs were warm I started it and it was running kinda rough until it warmed up. The truck drove fine until I hit the first grade on the freeway. When it down shifted It immediately started to lose power, not all at one but slowly until I had almost no power and heard what sounded like an electrical zap everytime the injectors fired. Seemed like it was starving for fuel. I pulled over and the truck was idling fine. I reved it up a couple times and some whitish blue smoke came out. After idling for a minute I was able to make it back to town which was all down hill. The truck was fine on flat but as soon as I hit an incline the same thing happened. Gradual loss of power. I'm thinking it's the idm due to the sound coming from the fenderwell. Also no dtc codes were thrown. 2003 7.3 4x4 cc lb, 172k miles, hutch and harpoon, New fuel pump, new filter, fuel rail crossover. Any input would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds to me like the feed pump located on the frame rail just under the driver's seat may have sucked in some grit/sand/etc. Without that feed pump pressure (about 65-70 psi on my '99), the engine will starve for fuel.

I experienced the same thing with my 99 PS 7.3l, when the strainer in the tank became clogged. After fixing that problem, the feed pump located on the frame rail gave up. Same sort of low power symptoms you described. My understanding of these trucks is, feed pressure has to be maintained so that the rest of the fuel system downstream (all the way to the injectors) operates properly.

Hope this helps,
Vern

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can pull the IDM and pull the cover to check for water entry. The 99s and later were somewhat more prone to water intrusion. Just remember to reseal it.

Cj

·
Greasy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
Thanks for the input. When I did the hutch and harpoon I put an inline filter in between the tank and pump. I will check the screens in the filter first. If that doesn't fix it I'll go to the idm. Haven't had any time off work to check it.

·
Greasy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,
I finally had some free time to unhook the fuel lines in between the tank and the pump to check the screens inside the inline filter. The screen was definitely clogged with various particles. I blew the screen out with high pressure air. I reinstalled the filter and connected the lines. Turned the key to let the glow plugs warm up and heard the fuel pump humming smoothly. There was no zapping sound and the truck fired right up. I think the problem is solved but I haven't driven it uphill to put a load on it. I'll go for a spin the next free time I get and let you know. Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it. You saved me $500!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello again,
I finally had some free time to unhook the fuel lines in between the tank and the pump to check the screens inside the inline filter. The screen was definitely clogged with various particles. I blew the screen out with high pressure air. I reinstalled the filter and connected the lines. Turned the key to let the glow plugs warm up and heard the fuel pump humming smoothly. There was no zapping sound and the truck fired right up. I think the problem is solved but I haven't driven it uphill to put a load on it. I'll go for a spin the next free time I get and let you know. Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it. You saved me $500!
I hope that ends up fixing your problem. In my case I ended up changing out/cleaning the inline strainer several times before the sand stopped being a problem. I also mounted an electric oil pressure gauge in the dash where Ford normally mounted the 4x4 switch (mine's completely manual), and so I can monitor the feed pump pressure. When it starts to fall off, I know to check the inline strainer/filter that I installed to protect the feed pump. Mounted it on the frame right next to the pump. Good luck!

Vern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts