Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hg's were leaking pretty bad for a while. went out to the truck this morning and it wouldnt turn over. What do i need to do to stop my friggin 6.o to stop blowing hg's. i have arps and stock gasket. egr cooler delete . give me ideas. im wanting to get new studs and machine my heads completley flat. Do the black gaskets work any better than stock?ive only got 150k on truck and heads have blown this will be the 3rd time

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
:whs: and how does the block look, there are alot of variables that come into play with multiple blown headgaskets.

Doesnt matter what gaskets you use if the block/heads aren't flat or are cracked

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never been decked before and have not checked the block. we are going to start on it tomorrow. What do i need to check for?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Flatness to .002 Don't use a sanding disc on them. If you have a big granite block and a big piece of sanding cloth you can use that to remove the stuff that is stuck but the large surface area will keep you from gouging the surface.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
wouldn't be a bad idea to send the heads to a competent machine shop for testing and checking, if you are pulling the motor for this work to be performed, would be a good idea to have the block checked too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want this danm thing not to blow head gaskets again, if block is ok, and heads are shaved what gasket and studs to use.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
give me a price for black gaskets and studs, do they actually seal better

·
Registered
695 Posts
give me a price for black gaskets and studs, do they actually seal better
90% of the time the reason these 6.0L gaskets blow is from heads that where never machined right from navistar.

You should have machined your heads the 1st time and you would not be where you are today.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
If every things not flat, they will blow. Sounds like what your problem was. As said above if you would have machined the first time, you wouldnt be in the same boat. Goodluck.

Kevin

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
only a 150k miles? haha. I'm on my third set of headgaskets right now and I'm at 62k miles. I will be doing them myself this summer (set #4) and having the heads machined and getting it done correctly this time!

Stock gaskets or black onyx and ARP's should be all you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts