Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 7.3l excursion. Originally hard start, rough idle. Replaced glow plugs & harness, IDM, starter, batteries, & now all injectors. It is difficult to turn over by hand. When bumped it made a loud sound after replacement of the injectors. Called mechanic. He said it sounds like it is hydrolocked. If I pull all of the glow plugs out of one side and (then the other if needed) and get rid of any access liquid, is there anything else that I have to do to get it un- hydrolocked? Or does the access liquid in the glow plugs cause this problem? Sorry if I sound stupid, this is my 1st diesel.

·
Administrator
8,680 Posts
pull the glow plugs and spin the engine over.
look to see if liquid shoots out of the glow plug holes, and which hole it comes from will tell you the cylinder you need to inspect.

·
PSN intsigator
7,045 Posts
Cover the top of the engine with a towel before you spin it over if you don’t want your hood and ceiling covered in oil. bump it slowly at first, just don’t go to cranking, you are pushing fluid through a small hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! How will I know what is wrong with the injector? They are all new.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When you take the injectors out, oil and fuel in the head rails will drain into the cylinders. You 're most likely dealing with the leftovers from the initial injector removal. I would turn the engine over by hand at first before cranking on it (put a wrench on the bottom pulley).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again for your help. I'll work on it this week in between rain storms. I'll post more as I work on it!

·
Project Shamu
3,070 Posts
Careful cranking too, I've hydro locked from the exact same thing, excess oil draining into the cylinder, and I bent a few push rods! Might want to pull yours and just check them out to be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help. I pulled the glow plugs from the passenger side. Bumped the engine to get any ex cess fluid out. & replaced the batteries again. Cranks right up and runs smoothly. No more error codes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts