Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to the parts store this AM and bought a hydroboost unit and new P/S lines to convert my '95. I did a little research before hand so I thought it would be fairly simple. Came home and started tear down. Go my old booster out and start opening boxes (1st mistake). Come to find out there is no rod for the master cylinder. Called the parts store, they say "we cant get one". I went back to the website where I found the conversion,and it shows a CarQuest unit that includes the rod. Should have one of those tommorow. Has anyone had this issue? Am I in for more surprises?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If I was to do this mod I'd get everything off of a wrecked SD to begin with, then buy new repalcement parts if needed because of the little things like that.

Sorry, I haven't done it and don't ahve any good input, but I like reading posts about is cuz someday I want to.

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my reason for doing it is that my truck wont stop a loaded trailer. Empty it stops fine. I have rethought this a little and I am going to focus on the trailer and brake box first.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Odds are if you are having problems stopping a trailer with your stock brakes installing a hydra-boost system won't help. You really need to check the brakes on the trailer and get them working. If the trailer brakes are properly set up then the trailer will do most of the braking for you when you are coming to a stop.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well my reason for doing it is that my truck wont stop a loaded trailer. Empty it stops fine. I have rethought this a little and I am going to focus on the trailer and brake box first.
If you don't already have a Prodigy controller, get one. It's the Best Towing mod I've ever made.

Then set it up with the instructions. It allows you to set the trailer response speed. I.E. lighter than the truck, same weight or heavier. I don't know how I ever towed without it.:bowfast:

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
I just finished installing one in my 95 as well. Bought a used one with all lines, etc from an 02 F250. To do over again, I'd just buy all new from a 97 F-superduty.

I had to go to car quest to buy the lines because the SD fittings going into the gearbox are different. The mounting studs from the SD were not the same as the OBS so I had to punch them out and redrill holes, then used grade 8 hardware. Also, the actuator shaft that connects to the brake pedal was about 1.5" too long so I had to cut it down and re-weld it.

So for the time I have invested into it to work right as well as the initial cost, it would have been WAY cheaper and WAY less time to just buy new from carquest.

·
<---Best intake plenums
449 Posts
I just finished installing one in my 95 as well. Bought a used one with all lines, etc from an 02 F250. To do over again, I'd just buy all new from a 97 F-superduty.

I had to go to car quest to buy the lines because the SD fittings going into the gearbox are different. The mounting studs from the SD were not the same as the OBS so I had to punch them out and redrill holes, then used grade 8 hardware. Also, the actuator shaft that connects to the brake pedal was about 1.5" too long so I had to cut it down and re-weld it.

So for the time I have invested into it to work right as well as the initial cost, it would have been WAY cheaper and WAY less time to just buy new from carquest.

How is your breaking now compared to the booster setup?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
time for reardisk and check your trailer brakes and controiler.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
How is your breaking now compared to the booster setup?
Don't know yet. I swapped it out when I was building the motor. Just got it running Monday night and haven't bled the lines yet. Will be doing that tonight.

I'm speculating that they will be MUCH better than before because they were spongy and when I pulled the vacuum booster, I saw it was leaking.

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
time for reardisk and check your trailer brakes and controler
yeah, I spent all last weekend working on the trailer, then I installed a new contoller w/ all new wiring from front to back. Tried it on my buddies trailer and it works like a charm. I still need to rebuild one brake cylinder on my trailer, but Im confident that its fixed. I really jumped the gun thinking I needed hydroboost, when I should have just fixed what I already had. I should rename this thread to "The dummy needs to fix his trailer":doh:

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About the rear disc, are they strong enough to stop a truck/trailer? Theyre only car brakes, so I really wasnt sure.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Billy, Ive read your thread more than once and its a very good read. It really made me think about the rear disc option. I will not/can not say anything negative about them because I have no personal expierence, but Im pretty convinced that it will be more trouble than Im willing to go through. I can say that I am very glad that you shared the info and expierence. One of these days I might get froggy and try the hydroboost again, but hopefully I may have already solved my problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
couldnt you use the sd rear calipers with custom brackets with the discs they use in that kit?

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SD rear brakes have the E brake inside the rotor. I think it would be difficult to make them work w/out cutting and welding spindles on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so even the spindles are different on the 10.5 compared to the 10.25?

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since no one is doing a direct swap from OBS to SD brakes I'm gonna say yes the spindles are different. It would be awesome if you could do a conversion like that. Im no expert so hopefully someone will chime in.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
If you don't already have a Prodigy controller, get one. It's the Best Towing mod I've ever made.

Then set it up with the instructions. It allows you to set the trailer response speed. I.E. lighter than the truck, same weight or heavier. I don't know how I ever towed without it.:bowfast:
all you need is a brakecontroller that has a power knob or dial, and a gain knob or dial. power puts it to the brakes, gain tells it how fast to apply the power to the trailer brake. also needs to have capacity for how many brakes that are on the trailer. 2,4,6...run about 1/2 to 3/4 power with 1/2 on the gain. the gain will fry your brakes! if you adjust them right and take care of trailer brakes, they will last 2 to 3 years!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts