Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have had a long time leak coming from my 02 F-350 at the hydro- boost/master cylinder. Anybody else?
truck has 170K
Is the fix/replacement of the hydro-boost an easy job?

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes mine is to i have 284632 miles on my f-250 4x4 it has been leaking for two years now just dont have time to do it. oreillys has the part i think its like 109.00.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mine leaked into the cab twice. I had one replaced under warranty. I had to do the job twice in 70k.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been wondering about this as well. I am in the process of doing my brake system.. Calipers, Lines.. all the way to the Master Cyl..

That's where I start to think maybe I should just replace the Master Cyl and Hydro Boost at the same time. IDK. The difficult part about doing this is the fact you have to separate the lines from the booster, just messy and then needs bled. Doing it all at the same time would mean new fluid and parts.

Any thoughts or experience.. I don't think the Hydro Boost is leaking yet, but I will top 300k in Feb and they are original parts.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep everybody up to date.
I have yet to buy the part or start the removal/install

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mines leaking also and brakes feel mushy. Waiting on my ss braided brake lines so i can flush the whole thing out with new fluid. tell us how it goes, hope its fairly easy !!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine needs replacing too. slight kick back feel when you hit the brakes, and they feel mushy. I think the part is around $400 though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the Ford Motorcraft price is around $400
I am debating wether that is the BEST price for this part for another 10 years!

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
The hydroboost isn't hard to replace at all, should be able to do it in a half hour to an hour tops.

I've seen plenty of them leak, deff not uncommon.

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
Does it just come off and bolt a new one on? The dealership wanted $1600 to replace mine.
Pretty much, unbolt the master and move to the side (or undo lines if you want to get it all the way out, just have to bleed later)

remove the high pressure lines (you'll need to replace the teflon seals, i stretch them a little on a large drift by sliding them down a bit, then you "thread" them onto the fitting)

remove the return line, then go under the dash. Remove the clip holding the brake switch to the rod/pedal, slide the rod off the pedal then remove the four nuts holding the hydroboost to the firewall.

slide it out and put the new one in, reverse the steps for install. There will be air in the system when you are done, you'll have to bleed the system. press the brake pedal down a couple times and go lock to lock with the steering with the engine running, turn it off and let the air surface off the fluid, it'll foam out of the P/S pump.

Thats it in a nutshell LOL deff not a job to be scared of! $1600 is a pretty big chunk of change to spend, motivation to DIY for sure!

·
Registered
114 Posts
About to replace my hydroboost and M/C next week. Aside from the hydro boost and the Master cylinder units themselves, are there any other gaskets, o-rings, seals etc to get?
I see you mentioned teflon seals in your post, any link to a part number, or just one seal for each line?

·
TennesseeHillbilly
1,318 Posts
Replaced mine about 2 years ago, OEM Ford part was $325 then. Fairly easy job, just be sure, as someone mentioned, get the new teflon seals for the lines, one for each line.

·
Registered
20 Posts
save yourself the trouble with oreilys and buy motorcraft when it come to hydro boost. i have to use oreilys parts on my work truck and replace every cpl years. most always motorcraft is one and done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So this thread is old, but I just noticed I'm leaking break fluid in the cab by the pedal. I'm guessing I have the same issue. The question I have is how long can I let it go before fixing it? I have to do an oil change and glow plugs so that kinda eats my funds up a little ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So this thread is old, but I just noticed I'm leaking break fluid in the cab by the pedal. I'm guessing I have the same issue. The question I have is how long can I let it go before fixing it? I have to do an oil change and glow plugs so that kinda eats my funds up a little ?
I do have a little break kick back also. Fluid isn't low though it's a pretty slow drip.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I'm leaking break fluid in the cab by the pedal
Leaking brake fluid making it into the cab is not a good thing. Its time for a master cyl for you
The hydroboost should be leaking ATF not clear brake fluid, only the master cylinder reservoir is filled with brake fluid

·
Registered
26 Posts
Leaking brake fluid making it into the cab is not a good thing. Its time for a master cyl for you
The hydroboost should be leaking ATF not clear brake fluid, only the master cylinder reservoir is filled with brake fluid

Upon closer look it is atf ?☺ I just seen it this morning before I came inside to go to bed I work nights so I didn't look to close.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts