Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I dont have near the money for that ouo stuff or i would def buy it! I think i am going to call westtexasoffroad this week.
'

That is my recommendation for hydro assist. After doing them compeltely DIY and using kits. IMO WTOR Red Neck Ram is the best balance. Not sure if they have updated the pics on their site but they use the same ram as PCS and all the fittings are long radius JIC etc.. The pics were very old that at least use to be on their site.

My recommendation also if you truck has a good amount of miles is go ahead and get a new gear box like a Red Head Gear Box. This way you are sure everything is tight to start with. Its a great time to make sure all bushing, joints, hubs, u-joints are in good shape and not worn or loose.

The thing is we all as owners tend to only replace parts when they fully fail or cause effects we are not willing to or can't live with. this rather than replacing parts when they reach preset levels of wear or miles of use. We then end up with one part accelerating the wear of other parts and then we get there issues were we hunting for the root cause and stuck changing part after part etc... Now add in aftermarket parts and things that increase stress......

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have new everything except u joints in the front of my truck, all the parts have less than 5,000 miles. I wish i would have gotten a red hed box but i needed it asap so i got a ford one. How much could i expect to pay for a new powersteering pump?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wonder if everyone thinks that death wobble is the same thing. It seems like some people are describing bump steer. A problem I have with my truck that others seem to be describing is, when hitting imperfections on the road or off road is, the steering wheel gets kicked around in your hand.

A fellow employee at work with a stock 06 truck said the truck shook so bad that he felt like the windows were going to jump out of the cab until he slowed down and got it to stop. This is my understanding of death wobble.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I wonder if everyone thinks that death wobble is the same thing. It seems like some people are describing bump steer. A problem I have with my truck that others seem to be describing is, when hitting imperfections on the road or off road is, the steering wheel gets kicked around in your hand.

A fellow employee at work with a stock 06 truck said the truck shook so bad that he felt like the windows were going to jump out of the cab until he slowed down and got it to stop. This is my understanding of death wobble.
I took my fabtech 2.25 steering stabilizers off and now put a stock single on and i have death wobble and it is def scary it shakes the wheel bad! I think my fabtechs are shot i took them off and they push fairly easy in the first 5inches than get wicked hard, also they sound like they have dirt of something in them... Its over $200 for icon stabilizers so i thought i would spend a little more and get a hydro asist...

·
Registered
133 Posts

From what I have seen Bump steer turns into Death Wobble if you dont have a good steering stablizer. The question is why do these newer trucks have the problems where as the old leaf spring trucks dont seem to have the same problems. If you talk to anyone that drives a Dodge they seem to have the same steering issues that we face.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I have hydro assist. But you guys are definitely masking some issue. You shouldnt even need hydro assist or expensive stabilizers. A properly set up kit isn't going to have bump steer and death wobble. Pure performance should help you out or whoever you bought it from.

I certainly don't have a 4 link but I ran without a stabilizer on 40s before my hydro assist kit was installed. It drove just fine.

·
Vendor
158 Posts
I have hydro assist. But you guys are definitely masking some issue. You shouldnt even need hydro assist or expensive stabilizers. A properly set up kit isn't going to have bump steer and death wobble. Pure performance should help you out or whoever you bought it from.

I certainly don't have a 4 link but I ran without a stabilizer on 40s before my hydro assist kit was installed. It drove just fine.
I agree,
Most of the time true DW is caused by multiple small issues as opposed to a single big problem. Better stabiliizers will mask the problem until they start to wear out and the problem is back with a vengeance. All coil sprung straight axle trucks are prone to DW and Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Land Cruiser, Land Rover owners have battled it from the beginning.

There is never a "sure thing" solution as everyones DW has a different cause. Here is just a basic list of causes and remember a truck with DW is likely to have more than one of these issues. Some of these items are not bad enough to cause DW but when combined with others can create the perfect storm so to speak:

Worn or weak sidewall tires
Not enough positive caster
Worn tie rod ends
Worn trackbar bushing or ball joint at axle
Worn control arm bushings
Worn ball joints
Worn steering stabilizer

Alot of the above issues are amplified as the ride height is increased as the geometry changes. Wider, heavier tires on high offset wider wheels also increase the chance of DW due to the leverage placed on the steering components.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I called westtexas offroad and i am shipping out my steering box tomorow! The lady i talked to was very nice and explained everything to me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The psc setup on the 2011 kit looks really nice, especially the mount setup. I never liked the idea of welding the tabs onto the tie rod, because you would have to cut them back off then reweld if the toe in needs to be changed.

One thing that is to be learned from any one that installs or has installed the ram assist kit is if your bump steer really is bump steer. If the ram assist cures the problem, then the problem never was bump steer. The problem was the tires were getting pushed around by road imperfections.

I cant wait to hear how it works out for 07 pstroke because if the ram assist works out well, im definitly installing it on mine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Layson

Could put up some pictures of how you increased the resivoir capacity of your steering pump and where you got the parts from.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I know this is a old thread I only have 800 miles on my hydro assist kit and the steering is very touchy at 40mph up like it has over steer I believe it is called. I ported my factory power steering pump a little because when I would hit the brakes I couldn't steer. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
378 Posts
PCSs recomendation for the problem of lack of steering power when the brakes are applied is to have the hydro boost ported.

Ive also been told that an excessive amount of flow from the pump, as in an upgraded pump with a ram assist setup can cause your problem.

Maybe you drilled out the fitting in the pump a little to big.

You could put a new pump on and then get the hydroboost setup ported by vancopbs. Call them first though, these are things I have been told but I dont really have any experience.

Another option is to some how orfice the fittings going to the ram assist cylinder.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
PCSs recomendation for the problem of lack of steering power when the brakes are applied is to have the hydro boost ported.

Ive also been told that an excessive amount of flow from the pump, as in an upgraded pump with a ram assist setup can cause your problem.

Maybe you drilled out the fitting in the pump a little to big.

You could put a new pump on and then get the hydroboost setup ported by vancopbs. Call them first though, these are things I have been told but I dont really have any experience.

Another option is to some how orfice the fittings going to the ram assist cylinder.
I just drilled it a little bigger like what west Texas told me to do. So the restriction is in the hydro boost? Could I put some sort of adjustable regulater on each line or wouldn't that help?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Surplus Center Item Detail

Wow these little valves are expensive! I don't really understand hydraulics but will this work for me to find a happy medium between how fast I can tun the wheel and slow or stopped and taking the twitch out at high way speeds?

·
Registered
133 Posts
How about trying a new PS pump My PSC unit has the same resistance as it did before I installed their Hydro Assist unit. I was cruzing at 90 plus the other day and the steering is not anymore sensitive than at normal speeds

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
How about trying a new PS pump My PSC unit has the same resistance as it did before I installed their Hydro Assist unit. I was cruzing at 90 plus the other day and the steering is not anymore sensitive than at normal speeds
I might try that how much is the pump? So basically u can't even tell u have a hydro assist on there at all when driving on the street? Can you steer with the brakes applied heavy?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts