Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering stabilizers are shot and instead of replacing them i think this would be a better route. What is the best kit for the money i was looking at redneck ram i plan to call them tomoro. Is there any neg. when running a hydro assist?

·
Administrator
32,990 Posts
just the vulnerability of the extra hoses hanging down there
they recommend carring a means to plug the box if you loose a line so you can get home

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My steering stabilizers are shot and instead of replacing them i think this would be a better route. What is the best kit for the money i was looking at redneck ram i plan to call them tomoro. Is there any neg. when running a hydro assist?
There are some negatives. If you don't' have your ram stroke set up correctly to your steering stops then you can tear apart all the joints at the knuckles.

If you have too large of a ram your steering will be harder. Make it difficult to turn quickly.

Also you really should get a kit with a reservoir. The pump just doesn't have enough storage, if you look into it while the truck is running, the fluid is coming in as fast as it is coming out. It will run fine, but the pump probably won't be happy for a long time... LOL

Then if your pump goes out your brakes run off the same system....

Also, to do it right it is an expensive modification. If you have a 6" lift then I would recommend going to a high steer knuckle, then your truck will turn better then stock.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i do hydro steering it will be redneck ram. I just ordered a helwig front sway bar the other day i hope that helps for better handling! What is the high steer kit exactly?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the road when the pavement is lower on one side or the other it doesnt do the best.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
PMF has some high steer kits.
I had the PSC hydro kit. their rebuild on my steering gear sucked balls :(
I ran my truck A LOT in the desert, through brush, mesquite mounds, etc.. and I never had a problem w/ my hydro lines. Measurements should take into consideration suspension articulation. I used 1/2 heater hose tubing cut down the middle and wrapped my hydro hoses w/ that wherever there may be a chance to rub against something. I then zip tied it up and in 6 years I never had 1 hose issue.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
On the road when the pavement is lower on one side or the other it doesnt do the best.
You sure that you got your four link all set up? If you are burning through stabilizers then you probably have something wrong. I would call up pure performance and see what they say. Hydro assist isn't going to get rid of your issue.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PMF has some high steer kits.
I had the PSC hydro kit. their rebuild on my steering gear sucked balls :(
I ran my truck A LOT in the desert, through brush, mesquite mounds, etc.. and I never had a problem w/ my hydro lines. Measurements should take into consideration suspension articulation. I used 1/2 heater hose tubing cut down the middle and wrapped my hydro hoses w/ that wherever there may be a chance to rub against something. I then zip tied it up and in 6 years I never had 1 hose issue.
Did you like how the truck felt driving down the road after u did the hydro kit? I really want the truck to steer easy when stoped or barley moving...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes i pulled them off and it steers easy i ordered a stock steering shock and i made a custom lowering bracket for the shock. I hope to get it on tonight. I am stil waiting for the sway bar...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If those stabilizers are installed correctly and making it hard to steer you need a new pump or maybe need to give it some servicing. Something next to nobody ever seems to do. Flush the PS system. Replace with a all syn trans fluid like Schaefer's All Trans or the like. You might find it runs much better. Maybe add a magnafine inline filter like they use for trans.

THe best deal for product performance for the dollar is West Text Off Road Redneck ram hydro assist. (They use the same ram as PSC)

Its not rocket science and the "pit falls" or " negatives" (which are there and I agree with Laysons list) are avoided by a some reading and a dose of common sense as well as going with a prefab system like the WT RNR. Its not hard IMO.

If you can change your ball joints you can do this. Welding the ram mounts on is best. If you do not weld find and mark you places for the mounts and take it to someone to weld them on. Likely get it done for a case of beer at most. 4 tabs is all it takes.

You will then be able to turn the wheel with one finger sitting still at a light. If its a 05 up I am almost certain it will cure the death wobble. Has in all the ones I know of it done on at least.

I can not tell you how nice it is compared to the typical way a stock SD steers at a stop. IMO if you run larger wider tires its a must. All my old trucks and Bronco had them and I hate myself every time I turn wheel on my current X for not yet doing it. It is going on when the 40s go on which shoudl be right around the corner.

If you think about what we ask of out PS pump and gear comapred to the attention and hardware it gets we are lucky with how it does function.

With bigger tires or hard use I would consider adding a cooler, full flow filter. With a hydro assist especially with the big tires I would add a extra add on reservoir as it can use more fluid capacity and room for fluid level change.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If its a 05 up I am almost certain it will cure the death wobble. Has in all the ones I know of it done on at least.
Tarm,

While I respect the vast knowledge that you have, why would you put a band-aid over the real problem. A properly set up truck will not have any death wobble without steering stabilizers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tarm,

While I respect the vast knowledge that you have, why would you put a band-aid over the real problem. A properly set up truck will not have any death wobble without steering stabilizers.
Sak can you share what you have found to cure the dreaded Death Wobble? I have tried most of the recommendations on the all the truck forums and I still get a little wobble from time to time. I never had any problems with my leaf spring front end but when I converted my 02 to a 06 coil set up I had a rude awaking to what everyone was talking about Death Wobble. I have replaced all the front end joints, track bar and had the front end aligned with 5 degrees of positive caster. Whats the fix? Thanks Dana

1 - 20 of 87 Posts