Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st OBS. 97 cc lb f350. Think about getting a hydra and cts2 with comp kit. Just wantibg to make sure they work together and who is reccomended for tunes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, to answer your question yes they work together, don't forget to get the EGT probe!

As for tunes I would recommend buying from 1023 Diesel, they offer very nice tunes depending on your truck and also sell the hydra with a tune package. As for the cts2 I like Diesel power Products but that's my own opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, to answer your question yes they work together, don't forget to get the EGT probe!

As for tunes I would recommend buying from 1023 Diesel, they offer very nice tunes depending on your truck and also sell the hydra with a tune package. As for the cts2 I like Diesel power Products but that's my own opinion.
Thanks! Right now its bone stock. But I read that as I modify the truck the hydra would be easier to update the tunes on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! Right now its bone stock. But I read that as I modify the truck the hydra would be easier to update the tunes on.
It really depends, the hydra is a lot more versatile then the conventual 6 position chips. I have a CTS2 but not the hydra, I haven't thrown tunes in my 97 f350 yet because I'm focusing on preventative maintenance and building it up before hand. 1023 Diesel as mentioned has a package that includes the hydra and 6 tunes of your choice, If i where to get a tuner i would go with them, they have been on a lot of diesel podcast and have a great customer service from what I have heard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really depends, the hydra is a lot more versatile then the conventual 6 position chips. I have a CTS2 but not the hydra, I haven't thrown tunes in my 97 f350 yet because I'm focusing on preventative maintenance and building it up before hand. 1023 Diesel as mentioned has a package that includes the hydra and 6 tunes of your choice, If i where to get a tuner i would go with them, they have been on a lot of diesel podcast and have a great customer service from what I have heard.
What preventative maintenance/building are are you refering too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What preventative maintenance/building are are you refering too?
Check my signature, not all is considered preventive maintenance, most I did because I was already in there. Ive already undercoated my truck as well, new front end ball joints and ends will be next, just want to make sure I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. As for building its more of buying aftermarket parts for example, 4" exhaust, tuner, tranny rebuild, stage 1 160cc injectors, just stuff in that nature.

·
Project Shamu
2,971 Posts
Don't forget the CTS3 is out, way better and even a little cheaper.

Reactions: CA7.3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I have the Hydra tuner in the wife's '02 Excursion 180/30 injectors 63/73 KC turbo and all fuel upgrades and Brian Jelich at www.Jelibuiltperformance.com did the tunes. Love the way it runs!

But, I pulled out the CTS2 and sold it to a friend. I didn't like how it was hard to check everything at a glance and OMG the peripherals are stupid expensive! I just like analog gauges.

I'm definitely having Brian do the tunes for another Hydra tuner on my F250 project as well. That truck has Irate T4 with s369sx-e .91 and 250/100 injectors.

Craig

·
Registered
73 Posts
1st OBS. 97 cc lb f350. Think about getting a hydra and cts2 with comp kit. Just wantibg to make sure they work together and who is reccomended for tunes?
CTS2 is no longer made, so whoever has any, they are leftovers. They have the CTS3 out now and it is a bit less, and the comp kit is nice too. I'm a bit like Craig with analog gauges, but by the time you add up ICP, IPR, and other gauges, and still no way to read codes, the CTS is awfully hard to beat. The Hydra is compatible with the CTS3, and if you are stock, then just use the tunes that come with the Hydra. I just installed a Hydra, KC 63/73 turbo, my fuel system, 205/30 FF injectors, and a CTS3 in a 97 for a customer about a month ago and he really likes the setup. Sent you a PM.

·
Project Shamu
2,971 Posts
CTS2 is no longer made, so whoever has any, they are leftovers. They have the CTS3 out now and it is a bit less, and the comp kit is nice too. I'm a bit like Craig with analog gauges, but by the time you add up ICP, IPR, and other gauges, and still no way to read codes, the CTS is awfully hard to beat. The Hydra is compatible with the CTS3, and if you are stock, then just use the tunes that come with the Hydra. I just installed a Hydra, KC 63/73 turbo, my fuel system, 205/30 FF injectors, and a CTS3 in a 97 for a customer about a month ago and he really likes the setup. Sent you a PM.
Not to mention where do you put all the analog gauges??? I have an OBS and the only "easy" place to mount is the a pillar, which will fit 4 gauges. Anywhere else is just illogical or doesn't "fit" IMO. Other people think otherwise...

The CTS3 can fit all those gauges in a tiny space, and you can fit it in a lot of places rather easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to mention where do you put all the analog gauges??? I have an OBS and the only "easy" place to mount is the a pillar, which will fit 4 gauges. Anywhere else is just illogical or doesn't "fit" IMO. Other people think otherwise...

The CTS3 can fit all those gauges in a tiny space, and you can fit it in a lot of places rather easy.
Will the comp kit get me everything I need to monitor or do I need to add more onto it.

·
Project Shamu
2,971 Posts
The comp kit covers all the basics. The data logger kit is over the top, but you get a lot of stuff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts