Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of Hairyboxnoogle's Hx35 project for his 7.3 idi. The first pic is the tear down of the turbo to clean it up. There was a lil water in it.

The second pic is the turbo outlet he made using his bother-in-laws as a template.

The third pic is the cut out fire wall. And the fourth is where the Hx35 will sit.

The fifth pic show how his hood stack will sit...

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
i wonder why hairy didnt do what the justins did and cut the intake so he didnt have to cut his firewall so much

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Looks like he's got a good start, I take it that there is more room behind the heads than on our trucks?

What size exh housing??

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
The outlet on the housing is 2.5" seems small, about the same size as on the banks turbo, however the cold side is much, much bigger. Ill get a snap of them side by side. As far as room behind the heads... No. In fact the seam of the cab was rubbing the bell housing, and so was the left cylinder head. However, there was a surprising amount of room between the firewall and the air box, dash, and wiper stuff on the otherside. so away it went. As for not cutting the intake. I dont have access to a mill, nor the equiptment to weld aluminum. lol and that hood stack was just for fun, my brother was being a jack ass. On the plus side. As far as moving the firewall back, it will be no worse than the "hump" in newer trucks, in fact, not as bad would be my guess. I dont mind cutting the firewall as long as the engine is nice and back in the frame im happy. I managed to avoid getting into actual footspace as well. So you can actually put your legs straight still unlike newer trucks.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Im a ways past these pics. As of now im waiting on 2 oil line fittings, some silicone boots and a t3 flange gasket. And like i just said in the other thread. Only the hx35 is going on, there is no current plan for twins. Those are going on the other engine after it gets built, progress on that? its still sitting in a 87 Superduty in Adrian OR. I plan to completely rebuild the truck before it goes in as well, so dont get in a hurry on that one. But i will give you one teaser. The atmosphere turbo will sit on top of and slightly foreward of the hx35. Yes, in the cowl. And yes the hood will have to be cowled :eek: :evil

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
looks good!!! The HX35 is a good platform to build on.. If you ever need to go bigger there are lots of aftermarket turbos made to bolt right up in place of the HX35..

I am with Racin.. What size is the Exhaust housing??? not the outlet. but the CM of it.. it should say right inside the flange were it bolts to the mount.. might be a 12CM housing..

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
haha youve lost me. Ive tried my best to explain how ignorant i am of turbos, but tell me where and ill measure. All i know is it came off a street sweeper. I can get the serial as well if that will help. And thanks, i figured it was hard to go wrong with the holsets. Theyre pretty decent chargers, theyre cheap, and eveerywhere, so is thier aftermarket. I picked this one up for 150. not sure if it was a good deal or not just yet. but it spins Veeeery nice.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
All I need is the number AS they come, Off the Exhast housing.. The number needed should be right inside the holes were the exhaust air blows in from right were it mounts..

Tell you what.. i will see if i can find picture to show you..

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Yeah, exactly... 12cm will do, but a 14 would be a little better on the 7.3...

I talked with the guy on youtube with the dumptruck and 7.3, and he said that the HY35 was WAYYYY too small when he had it on there, and that even his HX35 12cm was a bit too small.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
im not sure, i would guess its 12. Everything about the hot side seems small to me. Where the t3 flange bolts to it it is a bit smaller than the gasket, and smaller than the housing on the roto-master in the banks kit. I was thinking of taking the dremel to it and at least port matching it, but not sure if thats a good or bad idea.

Define too small please? I would be tickled pink for this thing to spool at 1500rpms, thats why i picked it up, to see what it would do, and base my second charger from what i learn.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Oh the other thing about cutting the firewall. Once i get it all rebuilt im planning on it being a removable doghouse like in the econolines. That will make future work sooooo much nicer. Once i considered that it didnt bother me at all to start hacking away.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not sure, i would guess its 12. Everything about the hot side seems small to me. Where the t3 flange bolts to it it is a bit smaller than the gasket, and smaller than the housing on the roto-master in the banks kit. I was thinking of taking the dremel to it and at least port matching it, but not sure if thats a good or bad idea.

Define too small please? I would be tickled pink for this thing to spool at 1500rpms, thats why i picked it up, to see what it would do, and base my second charger from what i learn.
What is the AR on it Mike? That might tell them the size of the housing too. As for spooling by 1500, a 12cm might spool that quickly. It will be pretty close at least and a 14cm would be good too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh the other thing about cutting the firewall. Once i get it all rebuilt im planning on it being a removable doghouse like in the econolines. That will make future work sooooo much nicer. Once i considered that it didnt bother me at all to start hacking away.
Sounds good. I was wondering what you were gonna do to get it all back together.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
IDK. See the banks turbo has the A/R, and the exhaust size cast into it... i dont remember seeing that stuff on the holset, but ill take a peek at it later and see.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
For what its worth.. HX35 with a 12 or 11cm housing will start spooling on a P-Pump 5.91 at around 1100 to 1200 RPMs.. That is what a friend's pickup did.. And as stated the 12CM could be to small... But That also depends on how high you want to run your boost to... The turbo you have should have a waste gate built into it.. you could always drill another hole into the ather side so it can relieve both sides at the same time...

It will either have the size hear.. To give a idea whet to look for this is a 1.27 A/R housing...

or here... See the two opening that are facing the coffee can???? In one of those holes is were the size could be to.. most Holset turbos have them there...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is your target boost with it Mike?

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Right now looking at 15 lbs is all i want to push so it should be efficient. I didnt get a really good chance to look at it tonight, but inside the housing where it bolts to the up pipe is 12-4. Those are all i noticed on the hot side. There may be more i can look better tommorrow. So far havent found anything to clue me in on the AR ratio hot or cold side. It is internally gated and the waste gate is very small, hope its up to the job. The flanges i built are the non divided veriety. Also, the housing where it mates to the flange for the up pipe is considerably smaller than the gasket. I was thinking of port matching it to the gasket and my flange, but i dont know if i should or not. Also on the compressor side. Where the intake is, it is not machined like the one in the picture above, its just the cast finish. Also the pressure side looks like its designed for a v-band or to fit inside the intake it was removed from. Im cosidering having them machined smooth for average boots and hose clamps.

I would rather it spool to fast for right now, than not at all. But could be problems either way. A friend of mine is saying i wont spool a 35/50 combo... i dont see why. From my math (which could be miles off) the 35 should spool by 1500 and be most efficient at around 2200 rpms. Which is EXACTLY where i want it to be. we will see if i more or less, guessed right.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
So does the 12-4 not mean anything? Im assuming that its the 12cm housing, no idea what the 4 is about. Any idea why the turbo flange is so much smaller than the flange gasket? Also, both sides are not symetrical, one is more half moon shaped, while the other is more square. I dont know if this is just poor quality control, or if its that way for a reason. Just seems restrictive to me...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now looking at 15 lbs is all i want to push so it should be efficient. I didnt get a really good chance to look at it tonight, but inside the housing where it bolts to the up pipe is 12-4. Those are all i noticed on the hot side. There may be more i can look better tommorrow. So far havent found anything to clue me in on the AR ratio hot or cold side. It is internally gated and the waste gate is very small, hope its up to the job. The flanges i built are the non divided veriety. Also, the housing where it mates to the flange for the up pipe is considerably smaller than the gasket. I was thinking of port matching it to the gasket and my flange, but i dont know if i should or not. Also on the compressor side. Where the intake is, it is not machined like the one in the picture above, its just the cast finish. Also the pressure side looks like its designed for a v-band or to fit inside the intake it was removed from. Im cosidering having them machined smooth for average boots and hose clamps.

I would rather it spool to fast for right now, than not at all. But could be problems either way. A friend of mine is saying i wont spool a 35/50 combo... i dont see why. From my math (which could be miles off) the 35 should spool by 1500 and be most efficient at around 2200 rpms. Which is EXACTLY where i want it to be. we will see if i more or less, guessed right.
I think at 15psi you will be alright with the turbo no matter what housing it is. That's not an insane amount of boost but like you know I'm no turbo guru. Lol. Also as far as spooling the combo, you will have no problem in my opinion after you get all the fuel mods to go with it. A stock truck might have a lil trouble spooling them but when you are done you aren't going to be stock. I mean Flatlander over at OB spooled a Banks Sidewinder and a OBS PSD turbo that was remote mounted and easily got 20psi and he was being conservative with it. I mean if he could spool that PSD with the big a$$ turbine housing in a remote setup you should be able to spool the Hx35/Hx50 combo. The only way to know for sure is to do it... :rockwoot:

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts

So does the 12-4 not mean anything? Im assuming that its the 12cm housing, no idea what the 4 is about. Any idea why the turbo flange is so much smaller than the flange gasket? Also, both sides are not symetrical, one is more half moon shaped, while the other is more square. I dont know if this is just poor quality control, or if its that way for a reason. Just seems restrictive to me...

You would have a 12cm housing on the turbo.. This will spool REALLY quick!!! I think it will start spooling well before 1500 RPM maybe in the 1200 to 1300 range.. THAT IMHO is a very good thing!! For one,the rated tourque for the IDI (corect me if I am wrong) is 1400 to 1600 RPMs.. So If you can get the turbo to spool before those RPMs you will have even better low end power PLUS you will make less smoke.. And the fact that you are going to gate it so it stops at 15 PSI of boost. The little housing will not hurt you one bit.. I think you would be OK to about 20 PSI BUT no higher.. AS far as the gate being to small you can always take a drill bit the same size as the gate is now. AND drill through to the next scroll, that will help keep back pressure a little better to..

All in all I think you will be fine at 15psi with the 12cm housing.. I am not shure what the 4 stands for though...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts