Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to do this In a couple of hours and now I read mixed results about using brass compression fittings? Is there a problem im unaware of between brass not staying tight with stainless steel tube (whitch im using) or brass combined with ulsd? Im reading different outcomes on both and would like to get this kicked out before work blows open tomorrow.

·
rock blower upper
242 Posts
used brass in all of mine, no problems so far

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Brass will not bite into the stainless steel like it should to make a tight seal. It's basically like clamping a hose onto a smooth tube with no barbs. Sure it will probably hold if you tighten the snot out of it but then you stand the chance of the brass cracking with the different metal expansion rates.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Thermo expansion in a fuel tank is probably not a big deal, not that much difference in operating tank temps. A lot of people have done this mod without problems.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also found zinc plated steel compression fittings. Im sure over time the zinc will wear off but they might bite into the stainless better.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Your fittings will be coated with diesel most of the time so rust shouldnt be a problem.
either should work.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great and I use my truck on a daily basis so its not going to be sitting any amount of time for the steel to sit and drip dry to rust.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAha I know they arnt cheap. For what it costs for 2 fittings Is more then it costs to do the whole mod. Im going to go with the zinc plated steel (as I didnt get to the mod yet due to running out of time) as there 16 bucks for both fittings and bite into stainless and steel tubing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I really need to do some research on this mod, maybe put it on my long list of summer to do's

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I been meaning to get to it but something always comes up. maybie this weekend as im decieding on weither to remove the box (as ill have to cut all the rusty bolts and install new ones and clips) rather then drop the tank as the straps are pretty rusty and the filler neck looks likes it going to come off in pieces from the heavy rust. I was waiting to do the 2013 box and just put new bolts and box clips in and new straps and filler neck so its done right but works been slow and funds short so ill well have to see.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 7.3mud but I just got 2 swedgeloc stainless steel ones for $19 bucks. Damn they are pricey but Ive saw them for alot more so grabbed the cheaper ones.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recieved the swedgelock ones in the mail and I really like the quality. Almost as much as not to want to hide the quality and nice finish inside a fuel tank lol...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts