Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now after my 37;s are on, my drivers side hub/wheel is getting hot....Only difference is, i had to use the Skyjacker SS brake lines ....I was thinking maybe the caliper was grabbing the rotor and causing the heat....Maybe i didnt bleed it enough? No pulling brakes feel great...

Brad told me to check my wheel bearings, maybe the load of the 37 is stressing it....

All my tools are Dodge/chevy so ran out to get the spindle nut socket and of course its the wrong size... (manual hubs)...

But anyway the bearings feel great, preload seems ok....Maybe needs to be a little tighter...

Any ideas? things to watch for?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Any endplay on the wheelend? Spins free when you jack that tire up? And like too hot to touch?

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
By chance do you have an IR heat gun? I would try to read the temps of each component to try and determine the source. If you dont have a fancy heat gun, try going for a short drive and CAREFULLY test the temp of various parts. The hottest part is your problem. Heat will eventually soak through all connected components, so keep the drive as short as possible while still allowing it to heat up some. Im sure more help can be provided if we know what parts causing a problem....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any endplay on the wheelend? Spins free when you jack that tire up? And like too hot to touch?
No endplay....Spins fine no dragging or binding... Yes the reason i knew there was a issue, is i just painted wheels and actualy smelled like a drying paint smell... Touched and yes to hot to keep hand on hub,,,,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By chance do you have an IR heat gun? I would try to read the temps of each component to try and determine the source. If you dont have a fancy heat gun, try going for a short drive and CAREFULLY test the temp of various parts. The hottest part is your problem. Heat will eventually soak through all connected components, so keep the drive as short as possible while still allowing it to heat up some. Im sure more help can be provided if we know what parts causing a problem....
I think we have a gun at work somewhere,,,Very good idea.....

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
wheel bearings

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheel bearings
Should have my spindle nut socket in a couple days...Was thinkin hopefully the bearing wasnt over tightend by the PO and spun the race...Just thinkin of the worst right now...

thanks

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
just get out the cuttin torch and pack the sh!t outta the new ones. i always put the grease in my hand and rub the bearing in it untill i see grease between every little ball. takes time but i know that there packed good

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
just get out the cuttin torch and pack the sh!t outta the new ones. i always put the grease in my hand and rub the bearing in it untill i see grease between every little ball. takes time but i know that there packed good
That is what they make bearing packers for

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
I have had mine for over 15 years. Its not like I grease bearings everyday, but when I do, it is a quick and clean job(as clean as grease can be)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts