Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting this rear end project cleaned up. Got the brakes on and got the diff back in with new clutches in the trac loc.

My question-- Installed the 370047A national seal in the hub per instructions (used the old seal and a board as a way to insure even pressure all the way to seal) and set the nut torque according to manual (60# less 8 clicks) and the nut is almost to the thou away from the end of the hub the other side measures. The hub turns, but is definitely stiffer than the other one. Is this typical? Seems that the new seal is a little snug. I dabbed on some oil on the seal ID and it where it sits on the shoulder and it installed real easy with the nut. Does this seal actually slide on the shoulder or does it rotate inside?

Just want to be sure that there are no issues and it will become easier to turn later.

The bed goes back on tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got a mirror and watched the seal work this morning. I've read and reread the earlier hub sticky-- the seal I've got is the one piece that slides on the spindle. A brainfart on my part (and brad referenced to it being one piece ), I thought the national sealed on the inside also. The national was a crossover in application, but not in design to the scotseal.

It makes sense now that it takes a little more force to rotate the hub (against a seal that has compression on the spindle). Now I wonder if I got the wrong seal... I guess we'll run it and find out...

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I got a mirror and watched the seal work this morning. I've read and reread the earlier hub sticky-- the seal I've got is the one piece that slides on the spindle. A brainfart on my part (and brad referenced to it being one piece ), I thought the national sealed on the inside also. The national was a crossover in application, but not in design to the scotseal.

It makes sense now that it takes a little more force to rotate the hub (against a seal that has compression on the spindle). Now I wonder if I got the wrong seal... I guess we'll run it and find out...
As long as your spindle is in good shape the one piece seal is fine. But my spindle was all pitted so the one piece seal would not longer work, so I had to go with the SCOTSEAL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts