Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck got finished up today after getting studs, EGR cooler delete, CFM+, and ported fuel rails. Once cranked, we realized that the the fuel rail supply line from the HPFP is vibrating like crazy. Enough to make a very noticeable sound. Once rail pressure gets above 8500-9000 psi, the vibration goes away and never comes back. Idle rail pressure up to that 8000-8500 psi range, the vibration occurs. There are no symptoms or codes indicating that the HPFP is bad. There are no drivability issues other than an intermittent rumble/shake at idle (not sure what that could be either, or if it's even related). The line is secure on the clip that holds it to the intake manifold. There doesn't seem to be any air in the system either since the truck cranks right up perfectly.

Any input from anyone?

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
you didn't put the heat shields back in? Not trying to say your wrong but as you know it is very hard to see everything under the turbos. guess it's also possible the line could've been bent from the factory as well. Good Luck man

·
WWDD
10,528 Posts
Im assuming that you put the same pump back on

There are some trucks that make noise, but it seamed to be a innovative/modded pump thing.

Have you done any runs to make sure that your maintaining rail pressure? Only reason i ask is i ran into a very wierd thing at work this weekend on a hydrualic pump, and it ended up being a plug in a suction line, pressures were there... not right but it made pressure worked fine, but made alot of noise.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
We're not talking about the relief kit are we? My first one vibrated so loud it drowned out the sound of the motor lol

only other thing I can think of is that the elite pump kinda makes a woo woo woo sound at idle but if you have a stock pump then its not that.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im assuming that you put the same pump back on

There are some trucks that make noise, but it seamed to be a innovative/modded pump thing.

Have you done any runs to make sure that your maintaining rail pressure? Only reason i ask is i ran into a very wierd thing at work this weekend on a hydrualic pump, and it ended up being a plug in a suction line, pressures were there... not right but it made pressure worked fine, but made alot of noise.
Fuel pressure is fine, and rail pressure is fine. Like I said, once rail pressure gets above 8500 psi, the sound vibration goes away. At least you can't hear it anymore like you can from idle rail pressure up to 8000-8500.

The line is getting replaced this evening, so I will post up whether or not that does anything. If the pump end ups being bad, an Industrial pump will be on the way.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i doubt its the line but its worth a shot, hard to say something might have gone thru the pump.
The line may have twisted when it was torqued down. I am ruling out the HPFP as the issue for now. I will post up tonight after I have put some miles on it with the new line.

·
PSN Veteran
759 Posts
You said you replaced the line. But is the line still vibrating? With the truck idling have you placed your hand around the engine and see if anything else is vibrating.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Maybe just the right frequency of vibration at those rpms causing it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.