Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums here, but not new to Powerstroke Diesels.

I have a 1996 Ford F250 7.3 auto with 4.1 rear end. 130k miles.

I bought the truck as a combination purchase with a 2000 Cardinal 32 foot 5th wheel, about 11 years ago.

The truck and 5th wheel had been babied, and are still in great condition. The only serious pulling I've done is the 5thh wheel, camping, etc.

The reason for joining the forum is that I have been thinking about doing a performance - chip - tune for years but just never had a real reason to my way of thinking. I was happy with the performance of my truck as stock.

However, I just bought a boat, a big boat to me anyway. That and recently having issues with cold starts made me decide it was time to go through the truck and fix wear items and look at upgrade my engine. So I am getting all new injectors, glow plugs, injector cups, glow plug relay, water pump, fuel filter.

I started reading the forum on what kinds of things I should do to upgrade from a stock to a stage 1 performance enhancement with the primary idea of increased towing capability, better torque.

Sigh, I never should have started! :laugh: Now I've got a bit of a diesel performance bug. I've always know the 7.3 was a good motor and drive train but never really understood how much unlocked potential is in the engine, until recently.

So I'm reading, reading, and reading. I am getting 160cc injectors installed now as well as what was noted above. Actually the truck is in the shop as I write this. Just dropped it off today.

Anyway, looks like a good group here. I am looking to buy a PHP Hydra later this year. Currently all my money is tied up in the new (to me) boat and the item I noted. I was hoping to get in touch with a PHP rep on recommendations, so I'll have to hunt one of their guys down hopefully here on the forum.

Anyway, enough said, here's a picture of the boat: :grin:

Attachments

·
Native Texan
9,024 Posts
:welcome: To The Nation. I get out to Utah sometimes got some friends in Salt Lake area. If I get out there might have to hit you up for a ride on that fine looking vessel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome: To The Nation. I get out to Utah sometimes got some friends in Salt Lake area. If I get out there might have to hit you up for a ride on that fine looking vessel.
Sounds good! Boat will be at Lake Powell during the summers :) Always looking for an excuse to go out...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Now that is a boat!! Nice!! Its hard to tell from pics is it a twin engine inboard?
You will love your 96 with power adders if you thought it was great before....just wait

Welcome!

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
That is a huge boat. Since you are doing new injector cups and water pump. I suggest a full coolant flush and fill with elc coolant.

Since your getting 160/0 injectors (from where?). You will need custom tunes in the hydra. I would talk to Corey at cncfab.us. I run custom tunes from php that I got from Corey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that is a boat!! Nice!! Its hard to tell from pics is it a twin engine inboard?
You will love your 96 with power adders if you thought it was great before....just wait

Welcome!
Thanks,
Yep twin 454 engines, carbureted (it's a 1990). Might put a TPI kit in the boat next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a huge boat. Since you are doing new injector cups and water pump. I suggest a full coolant flush and fill with elc coolant.

Since your getting 160/0 injectors (from where?). You will need custom tunes in the hydra. I would talk to Corey at cncfab.us. I run custom tunes from php that I got from Corey.
Yeah I am having coolant flush done too, thanks or the suggestion.

I cannot afford the Hydra yet, but it is in my plan for the next set of upgrades. My diesel mechanic here in Ogden has a good reputation, and immediately recommended a Hydra with custom tunes. But I'm spending a lot of money on the baseline stuff noted.

He did say he knew someone who upgraded to Hydra from a TS 6 pos, that is out of a truck the same year as mine, stock transfer and turbo like mine, except he has 180 injectors. Said I could have it for 75 bucks which should work until I can afford a Hydra. So I am going to try that.

I only plan on towing the boat out to Lake Powell in the spring, then back home in the fall for now.

Been reading the newbie looking for performance thread in the 7.3 performance section. Will probably post more questions there.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts