Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boost leak that I can only hear over 40-45 pounds of boost. How can I track it down w/o disassembling the entire system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Aren't all boost leaks invisible?

I know I can't ever SEE boost leaking at least. Check your ic ends. I remember reading about Matt having a crack in the weld that took him forever to find. Just an idear.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
stock plenums??? i bet you crushed one if they are stock...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
mines been holding 40 pretty nice..but a lot of guy's over on FTE are crushing there plenums and getting the insets for them (i think there just going to tight with them....i just used hair spray and continuous clamping IC clamps..(clamps with the springs in them)..

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
I do have the inserts now, as of about 3 weeks ago i didnt.

I didnt know anyone on FTE made over 40 psi...:poke:

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
I do have the inserts now, as of about 3 weeks ago i didnt.

I didnt know anyone on FTE made over 40 psi...:poke:
LMAO thats why i mover over here...these guy's know there chit...

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys, good info.

I had thought about plugging up the turbo like the diesel site product...

Dieselsite Turbo Boost Leak Detector - 4"

...but I had just assumed due to valve overlap that the pressurized air would just all escape out of the exhaust pipe. Soapy water at idle has not been able to find this leak but I can sure hear it at high boost. I don't think smoke would work just because I need high boost to have the leak (I think).

I need to get started making one of the turbo boost leak detectors like of my own to work w/ my 5" turbo inlet.

I will update you guys w/ what I find.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What about a leak on the exhaust side of the turbo? I.e. uppipes? I didn't know how bad my leak was until I replaced the pipes and gaskets. I still could get 25-27 psi off my stock turbo, but it was noiser.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts