Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a bed for my cclb off craigslist. Was pretty skeptical about the seller saying it was "solid" when I asked him about any rust issues. Well after inspection I found it to be in great shape. A few dints but totally rust free. Any Ideas on what I can do to prevent the dreaded wheel well rot? I have considered undercoating but is this the right things to do? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Remove the INNER wheel wells. This entails drilling out the the spot welds holding them in. Then once you get them out you will see RUST. I dont care how nice of a bed it is, there will be rust. Sandblast the rust then pain the ENTIRE bedside and underside with POR15. Before you put the inner wheel wells back in make drain holes like these. The 1" holes are made with a hole saw. the 3/8" holes you see are from the spot weld cutter

When reinstalling the inner wheel wells, use panel adheasive do NOT weld them back in. The welding will burn the paint off and start rust instantly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great! thanks this is gonna be a winter project with pulling the bed, grinding the frame, and trying to put a stop on some of this rust

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Another spot prone to rust the the pocket under the tailight

·
Registered
295 Posts
What about the dually beds? anything on those to look for?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The bedside above the dually fenders are common to rot out

·
Registered
295 Posts
I will have to look into it. I hate to go messing with anything rear fender related on the dually beds because I feel like they're so flimsy

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Thanks for the tip Brad, I just went down to southern Tennessee for a new box and fenders an I'd like to keep it clean

·
Registered
44 Posts
Outer wheel house is attached to the 1/4 panel. The inner wheel house is the one attached to the inner bed side (visable in the bed). Panel adhesive is compatable w/ some paints (read the directions when all else fails) usually the factory e-coat primer or epoxy paints/primers in my exp.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Brad, you can glue the two panels together with paint on them? I thought I read that you couldnt

Typically NO. When i paint, I put masking tape where i am going to put the adhesive. When I am done painting, I remove the tape leaving bare metal.

Anyone leave the inner wells off altogether?
You can leave them out but you will need to support the bed side in someway. I have already taken some 3/16 x 1" Flat stock and made some braces and bolted them in

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can leave them out but you will need to support the bed side in someway. I have already taken some 3/16 x 1" Flat stock and made some braces and bolted them in
Great, how'd the braces work out?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
They did their job. I was just a lil concerned about the flying rocks possibly denting the bedside from the inside out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remove the INNER wheel wells. This entails drilling out the the spot welds holding them in. Then once you get them out you will see RUST. I dont care how nice of a bed it is, there will be rust. Sandblast the rust then pain the ENTIRE bedside and underside with POR15. Before you put the inner wheel wells back in make drain holes like these. The 1" holes are made with a hole saw. the 3/8" holes you see are from the spot weld cutter

When reinstalling the inner wheel wells, use panel adheasive do NOT weld them back in. The welding will burn the paint off and start rust instantly.
Diesel brad -- Couple of neophyte questions:

1. How do you remove the inner wheel well from the outside truck panel where it is sandwiched together -- is it spot welded like the bed-side? I didn't see any spot welds where the panels are sandwiched together, but it could be that it's just too dirty to see or feel small welds.

2. When you remove the spot-welds from the inner bedside, does the drill go all the way through to the bed making repairs to the bed necessary?

3. When using panel bond to attach the prepped inner wheel well to the bed-side well, how do you clamp it to ensure good contact during curing?

This is a great thread. I just checked my "somewhat rust free" bed and noticed that the seam where the wheel well meets the truck panel is beginning to rust. It's not real bad, but it could get bad quick. Removed the trim and you can see faint paint-blister on the outside panel -- bummer. Fortunately, I'm taking it to a body shop tomorrow to get the "tail light pocket" rust repaired. I'm wondering if I should ask them to remove the inner wheel wells, and then repair the holes made by the spot-weld bit. Then all I would have to do is prep and paint (POR) the inner and outer wells and use panel bond to reinstall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts