Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im going to be gettin my baby back from the shop and i want to get some base numbers before i start workin on it. i hear people saying that they launch in 4wd and im just wondering how it is done. this is my first diesel and i have never drag raced a 4wd vehicle. also i would like to know how im able to tell what size gears i have in the truck. i think they are 4:10's but im not sure because the dealership gave me the owners manuals from a 2010 and mine is an '08. thanks in advance for the help. this site is awesome and all yalls truck are keeping me motivated to building my truck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i dont know about the 6.4s to much but i put my 6.0 in 4wd high hold the brake get the boost to about 20psi drop the brake and that thing takes off like jet do u have any performance mods and about your gears what rpm do u run at 70mph with 3.73 and 35s i run about 2000:tree:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
As far as gears go dont go by the manual for the 10s. The 10s had 3.55s for the most part. I would guess that you have 3.73s as they are the most common. If it is a dually you may have 4.10s or there were some 350 srws with 4.10s. As far as a launch goes- hold the brakes and give it gas until it wants to push through the brakes then let off the brakes and give it hell. If it spins all 4 off the line then let off the brakes earlier. The key to a good launch is just enough boost with no tire spin.

·
frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about the gears, i have an 08 f-250 and i think i run about 2k at 70mph so i guess i have the 3.73s like yall were sayin. thanks for the advice. i dont have any mods on the truck right now. i have an afe stage2 intake and mbrp filter back exhaust sittin in my garage. i just want to get some base #'s on it before the mods then go from there. im plannin to go to a full straight pipe and tuner when i get alittle more $$. thanks for the advice on launching. also is there a easy way to get both tires spinnin in 2wd. i can only get the right rear to spin when im in 2wd.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
If u have a 08 f250 u most likely have 3.73s that's wat I have. And by wat u said about spinnin one idk wat u can do about that except gettin and trutrac diff. That's a limited slip u have that's another tip that u have 3.73s.

Can any of u guys help me out with launchin? I got a stick so I'm wonderin how the hell I can get a good boosted launch. Sorry to hijack ur thread.

·
Registered
99 Posts
At a stop put truck in 4wd HIGH not low, apply brake pedal, and lightly apply gas pedal, watch boost needle start to increase in boost, as you get to 4-5 psi of boost pump the brake without fully releasing the brake, now hold the brake as hard as you can and floor the gas pedal, you should hit about 18-22 psi of boost before you break the tires loose, release brake and hang on. You will get the feel for it after a few times, switch the 4wd off after you are out of the hole.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Can any of u guys help me out with launchin? I got a stick so I'm wonderin how the hell I can get a good boosted launch. Sorry to hijack ur thread.
Left foot on the clutch, right heel on the brake, and use your toes to mash the throttle. It takes some practice

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
At a stop put truck in 4wd HIGH not low, apply brake pedal, and lightly apply gas pedal, watch boost needle start to increase in boost, as you get to 4-5 psi of boost pump the brake without fully releasing the brake, now hold the brake as hard as you can and floor the gas pedal, you should hit about 18-22 psi of boost before you break the tires loose, release brake and hang on. You will get the feel for it after a few times, switch the 4wd off after you are out of the hole.
I wouldn't switch it out until you pass the traps and start slowing down.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If u have a 08 f250 u most likely have 3.73s that's wat I have. And by wat u said about spinnin one idk wat u can do about that except gettin and trutrac diff. That's a limited slip u have that's another tip that u have 3.73s.

Or you can feather the throttle that will build a little boost.... you can probably make 10 lbs and then dump the clutch....

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Or you can feather the throttle that will build a little boost.... you can probably make 10 lbs and then dump the clutch....
Left foot on the clutch, right heel on the brake, and use your toes to mash the throttle. It takes some practice
Thanks guys il give it a try.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
1800rpm's + let off brakes = 1.67 .... i know mine has more in it, i just never found the limit.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
about the gears, i have an 08 f-250 and i think i run about 2k at 70mph so i guess i have the 3.73s like yall were sayin. thanks for the advice. i dont have any mods on the truck right now. i have an afe stage2 intake and mbrp filter back exhaust sittin in my garage. i just want to get some base #'s on it before the mods then go from there. im plannin to go to a full straight pipe and tuner when i get alittle more $$. thanks for the advice on launching. also is there a easy way to get both tires spinnin in 2wd. i can only get the right rear to spin when im in 2wd.
mine with limited slip will sometimes get em both goin on pavement and other just one. just depends on traction conditions. as far as the launch i would go about 16 psi and then let off the brakes and go. be carefull if it starts hoppin though that'll tear stuff up quick. also i would deffinetly recommend waiting till your slowin down to switch out. dont really matter what speed but just dont do it during the drag. :D

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Can't you figure out what gears you have by putting the truck in nuetral and jacking the back of the truck up then spinning the tire around and watch how many times the drive shaft spins then just divide the two numbers?

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
or you can look at the sticker from when you bought it...that should tell you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The ratio in mine is 3.55 and at 70mph I am turning 2,000 exactly with 285/75/16 Michelin tires that measure 33".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Look on the rear diff it should have a 73 or 55 after the first letter. It should be on there. I have 3 73 and i have an 08.

·
frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the advice. i'll take a look at the door tag and the diff when i get it back from the shop. and as for the window sticker, i bought it used and it didnt have a window sticker and they gave me 2010 manuals for it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I launch mine around 10 - 15 pounds. Only go up to 20psi if I think its going to be a close race.

Let's see a pic of your truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts