Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law is trying to put a harmonic balancer back on a chevy 350 out of a boat. Do you need a special tool? My brother put his small block ford one on by boiling it in water and then tapping with a piece of wood. How is it done on a chevy 350?

·
GMC Tech
244 Posts
On my pickup, I used a deadblow to tap it on far enough so I could run it on with the bolt. Weather that's the correct way or not, it worked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The best way is to rent or buy an install tool. pulling it on with a bolt risks the chance of stripping out the end of the crank and the hammer method is bad for all the parts involved. both methods are widely used but not the right way. Get teh install tool it will save somne headaches

·
Registered
205 Posts
The best way is to rent or buy an install tool. pulling it on with a bolt risks the chance of stripping out the end of the crank and the hammer method is bad for all the parts involved. both methods are widely used but not the right way. Get teh install tool it will save somne headaches
What he said. Ive done both ways with mostly success but have ruined one crank by stripping it and you take the chance of slipping the elastimer in the balancer when you use the hammer method(they wil fly apart) i finally broke down and bought the removal and install tool. Also you can rent them from o'riellys with a deposit and get the whole deposit back when you return it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I use a long bolt, a big washer, and a nut.

·
GMC Tech
244 Posts
I use a long bolt, a big washer, and a nut.
Hmmm... you know the thread pitch off the top of your head?? Fine thread I'm sure. I get to put my motor back together this weekend hopefully... thinking "all-thread" or "ready rod" might be the way to go, and cheaper than buying a real tool.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Nope. Not a clue. Just take the bolt to the store with you and buy a longer one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts