Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 obs f250 that i just received a ts 6 position chip that i needd to know how to install... any helpful comments?? Thanks- Riley

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
remove your pcm. its in the engine bay (drivers side close to the idm), remove the black cover on the back of the pcm. gently use some scotchbrite or the like and clean the glue off of the conector on the pcm. do not take too much off, if you see a copper color youve went to far. you dont want to go that far LOL. the rest is simple, plug in your chip, route the cable and mount the knob. hope this helps!

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
I did a write up on how to install a TS chip without removing the PCM.
It's not popular on this site to do it that way, since most of the knuckle heads here can't manage to get it right even if they remove the PCM.
All you have to do is make sure you get the waxy material off the contact points.
I used the scotch brite pad, to remove the bulk of it, and some alcohol on a q-tip to clean it from there.
A small mechanics mirror will help to see if you have the backside clean enough.

I've been 3 for 3 installing them this way.

TS Chip install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did a write up on how to install a TS chip without removing the PCM.
It's not popular on this site to do it that way, since most of the knuckle heads here can't manage to get it right even if they remove the PCM.
All you have to do is make sure you get the waxy material off the contact points.
I used the scotch brite pad, to remove the bulk of it, and some alcohol on a q-tip to clean it from there.
A small mechanics mirror will help to see if you have the backside clean enough.

I've been 3 for 3 installing them this way.

TS Chip install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Worked for me!!!!!

·
Buy Low Sell High
54 Posts
I pulled my e brake assemble off its 3 13 mm nuts and behind it is the bracket is the black cover that has to be pulled out to put the chip in. Clean and install.

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
No need to remove the PCM. I lucked out and I bought my truck with a chip on it so I did not need to scratch off the connectors.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
installing my ts 6 chip in my 95 f250 do i need to use anything to hold the chip in place
Place a piece of duc tape over it to hold it in. The last thing that you want to do is to have it vibrate loose while you are driving down the road.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Duct tape is insurance. The early boards were said to be fatter and the chip is solid most of the time. It takes a bit of work to pull the chip on mine it has a good bite on the pcb.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I would still tape it in place.

When a loose chip can smoke the PCM I will err on the safe side.

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
$0.13 worth of duct tape is cheap insurance over a PCM that will cost hundreds if the chip moves with the keys in the ignition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just installed mine today in my 97 F250. I cleaned up the terminals like stated here and it would not start, I had them clean. I called up tech support for the chip and the guy asked me what color the terminals were, I said silver. He said I needed to scrub with the Scotch Brite until they were copper. I did that and it worked well. That little tidbit should be in the instructions. Also, the instructions did not explain well how to get the computer out, I had to read up and pull it from the engine bay.
The bad part is I had to scrub so much to get the silver off that I wore away some of the copper on one side (the flip side of the board on the computer is fine). Just wondering if I may have problems down the line. Who sells the computers?

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you worried about it keep an eye out for a used pcm with the same code from the wrecking yards or ebay and carry a spare in the truck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts