Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is'nt for smack talking... this is just wow.
2000 VW Jetta, ALH TDI 5 speed. 1 inch suspension Lift!LOL

i miss my truck so much... but this sucker gets 50 mpg! i can put money in the bank acct at the end of the week now.

the truck... 18mpg last time i tried. driving 60-65. LOL

if anyone wants to get a mpg car... i vote VW tdi, 99.5-2003 ALH engine.

·
Nitro Fuel Addict
49 Posts
A buddy of mine has a Jetta and 50 MPG is no Bull! Funny how a good ol' oil burner engine gets better fuel economy that an tree huggin dirt worshiper Prius.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Right now my truck is parked and i'm driving my 1991 Saturn SC2. I'm getting over 30 mpg on the highway

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
The new ones 09 and up don't get quit the mpg that the 1999 to 2003 get. They have the same old DPF as the 08 and up SD , plus a lot of them are automatics.

If you are looking for one, stay away from the automatics as they do go out and they really get expensive to repair. The other thing is that there is some very dedicated maintenance on the engine. Rule of the road is don't pay attention to the timing belt and you will get to do a engine.

My Jetta gets 55 mpg on average. When I first got it I was in the 45 mpg, then I learned to drive it and I sometimes have a tank that gets close to 60.

The F250 cost .22 cents per mile to drive and the Jetta is .07 cents. Kind of like not having a fuel bill. Trouble is it just won't pull my trailers. That means fuel would have to go to $12.00 to equal the F-250 now. Guess what I drive the most?

JonFord

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't forget about the previous generation TDI's in the Jetta's and Passats. I average about 51MPG ('98 MkIII Jetta) including through Wisconsin winters. Similarly, it helps pay for the other fun stuff through its savings...

·
Registered
148 Posts
this is'nt for smack talking... this is just wow.
2000 VW Jetta, ALH TDI 5 speed. 1 inch suspension Lift!LOL

i miss my truck so much... but this sucker gets 50 mpg! i can put money in the bank acct at the end of the week now.

the truck... 18mpg last time i tried. driving 60-65. LOL

if anyone wants to get a mpg car... i vote VW tdi, 99.5-2003 ALH engine.
What size engine is that on the Jetta? Not very familiar with that car. Diesel/Gas?
I need to get me a car for work similar to that. I comute to work 65mi round trip daily. Starting to get expensive with my truck. 13.5mpg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Man I'm gonna look for one of those around here.. I'm looking hard at a bmw 328is with an inline 6 manual tranny.. around 25mpg but 50 would be much better..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Best car i ever had 1.9 TDI golf. Amazing to drive , fill it and forget about it , 6' tall and plenty of leg room , totaled out in a rollover 1 1/2 ago with the ex and 3 kids in the car and everyone was safe. FANTASTIC little cars !! Would love to get another with Kermit tunes and see what that little thing drove like - unimaginable i bet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been looking to get one cause i'll be going to high school half a day, then college the other half. Its only 7 miles round trip to school, but its a good 60 miles round trip to college. And with my truck only getting 18-20 mpg's i just can't afford to drive it. I've been looking into a Ranger but thats still not a whole lot better than my truck, so by the time i'd pay for insurance it wouldn't save me much. So then my other option is a diesel VW, but around here they are like gold. :shrug:

Now a fun MPG SUV is a CRD Liberty. 30 mpg's in a 4wd vehicle that can tow a lot, go anywhere, and haul 5 people fairly comfortably. Sad thing is its like a Cummins in a Dodge. Awesome little motor, in a crappy vehicle. It must be a Chrysler thing. :eek:

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
Read this short thread. It isn't meant to put the TDI down, but illustrates the issues that can be had if care in not taken at the time of purchase.

What has this newbie got himself into! - TDIClub Forums

I did my own Timing Belt change from a "Sticky" posted on the TDICLUB>COM website. It took me 12 hours, I am slow, $330.00 in parts, $260.00 in special tools, Germans are famous for different tools and I think $400.00 for the VAGCOM program to check the timing and system operation.

If I were to buy a used one, I would 1. Do my own compression check, 2. Get a oil sample, 3. Do or find a experience TDI mechanic to put a new timing belt and related parts in before doing any driving. Also, stay away from the average VW dealer maintenance department. They will get you.

The other down side is that Ford and Chevy pickup drivers hate you butt. They will pull up 3 feet off the back and sit there to try and make you go faster. Dodges don't seem to bother. I drive the speed limit in the far right lanes of the freeway and try to stay out of the way, but then there are some smart ass big pickup driver who's egos have no idea what it is costing them to drive like damn fools. That statement will fit a lot of readers on this forum.

To get the mileage that I get requires patience, concentration and forward thinking for traffic. My 55 MPG/.007 cents per mile to operate is kind of like not having a fuel bill. Like I have mentioned here before, diesel would have to go to $12.00 per gallon to match the 97 F-250 that I have right nows operating costs. It runs close to 17-18 MPG/.23 cents per mile to operate.

Now most of you are saying that I have no intentions of driving like a old man, (I am one), but after I have figured my average time to go to the office everyday, I find that driving in the right lane, slowing down has added 4 minutes to my 28 minute commute to work.

Having a good TDI is a lot of fun, getting a bad one is expensive. I ain't the fastest off the line, but don't let me get in 4th gear. Boost up, RPM up and it will move. I have seen 123 MPH on the GPS kicking the poop out of a smart ass F-150 driver.

My $5.00 on the subject.

JonFord

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
I always thought the best way to get fantastic mileage, was to have that trip computer thingy in your overhead. I've heard of guys getting 25mpg with a 7.3!!:poke:LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts