Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any tell how to do this!?thanks!!:ford:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cant find anything by using the search engine!! does any one know how to do this mod??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tap (Do NOT CUT) into the wire for the Torque Converter Lock up (I do believe it is purple with white strip, I will confirm this when the rain stops)

Run it to a switch, and the other side goes to ground. That is it.

Remember to turn it off when coming to a stop!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just looked in my book, (should went there before I replied)

The wire is purple with a yellow stripe. Locate it in the bundle of wires that either come out of the PCM (pin location 54) or the eaisiest is at the transmission.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
What is the downside of this mod if any? What happens if I forget to unlock the TC??? I mean I get that at a stop light it will stall but what else? I just need to be schooled on this more. To lock the TC for deceleration (engine hold back and hooking up EBPV as a brake I get that. But what happens if I am say in first shifter in D and I lock it and accerate up though the "gears".....??

thanks guys,

jrc

·
Registered
130 Posts
Locking in below 25 can be damaging. And when coming to a stop is really hard on things. Not to mention it will stall the truck.

You can lock it once in second and and it will pull hard all the way thru.

I use mine just for engine braking.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
There is a write up on this somewhere on the site. And maybe on DI's website? Not for sure.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Locking in below 25 can be damaging.
Not trying to be a dixweed here I really don't understand....sorry....stalling and being hard on the drive train I gottcha, but is there someting else I'm missing here?

For me it would be to use as a brake.....have one on the '96 with a ZF5 and have used it extensively and it has extended the stock brakes noticably.....

Thanks,

jrc

·
brandon
778 Posts
We did it in one. Hooked it to the brake switch so when i tap the brakes it disengages it. It has been a few years back so little foggy on the details but i know it can be done. But if you want it for braking then that is no good for you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! Ill give it a go when the drive way dries up! just lock it up after it shifts into second and unlock it when-before coming to a stop! thanks again!!

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
If you have a stock transmission I wouldn't suggest it, it will better your chances of killing your trans. When you lock the converter early you put alot more strain on the tranmissions internal clutch packs when they normally would not see it.

Otherwise, don't lock it up below 1300rpm and unlock it before then when decelerating. Below that area you don't have sufficient line pressure to the converter clutch and you run the risk of slipping in the converter.

Dave

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Thanks for the detailed insight Dave, this is my first Auto ever and still learning.....and kinda missing the ZF...but it is getting better....specially not losing boost at shifts...heh heh...

jrc

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My tranny is stock! and I do want keep it for awhile! Im considering getting a VB a installing my self! basically I want it too shift firmer and get away from the long delayed shifts!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
is it the same color wire for the sd's? i seen guzzels write up but i kinda like the idea of the switch more just for how simple it is.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm getting a BTS soon and was considering doing this. But if I do this does it mean that I'm going to have to use this switch all the time when I'm driving? Or can I just say unhook to ground wire to convert it back to regular lock up on its own for when I'm not pulling?:confused:

·
Registered
775 Posts
if this works like the one on my dodge auto's in the few cummins trucks ive had.. then it should lock normal when driving.. then locks whenever you flip the switch.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
So if the converter is locked and you flip the switch it will just not let it unlock basically?

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
So if the converter is locked and you flip the switch it will just not let it unlock basically?
I was also wondering about this. So when the switch is off, it won't affect anything? Right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
No need to disconnect anything. Just leave the swith off.

The switch will only lock the TC and prevent it from unlocking when you switch it on.

All other times, the trans will act as it is supposed to. Locking and unlocking like it should.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts