Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BLCKOUT
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for, but which terminals are which on the realy to check it? My truck just all of a sudden is have troubles starting, the cooler it is outside the longer I have to turn the key on and off before it finally cranks and when it does it pours white smoke for a second then clears right up. This is the relay gone bad correct?

·
Registered
105 Posts
turn key on then get under hood and cross the 2 big posts with a screwdriver...wait 30 secs then try to start...or you could just use a volt meter..one big post will have 12 volts always...the other big post should have 0 volts...go turn key on and measure 2nd big post...if its workin' it should now show 12 volts...hth

mojo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remember that the plugs are lit for up to 2 minutes after they're activated. My supposedly new OEM relay (dealer claims they put it in before I bought it, and it looks pretty clean) only kicks out 10 volts on the plug side, but on even the coldest of days, I was able to put in the key, wait 2 minutes, and it'd start.

Follow the test procedure Kenny linked to...see if it's relay, plugs or both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts